Human Resources Service Center

Form 700: How to Avoid Common Errors

How to avoid the most common errors in filing conflict of interest statements:

  1. Complete all sections on page 6. This includes section "4. Schedule Summary." View a sample(opens in new window).
  2. Use your Business Address. This form is a public document, anyone can ask to look at it. Protect your personal information and avoid your home address.
  3. Sign your statement. An unsigned statement is not considered filed and could subject you to late filing penalties.
  4. Submit the original. The statement must contain an original signature. The University cannot accept a photocopy of the verification section in which you certified your statement as true and correct under penalty of perjury.
  5. Know your jurisdiction. The "Jurisdiction of Office" for University employees is the State.
  6. Check your disclosure categories. You may need to report only certain types of interests. Be sure to check the CSU Disclosure Categories (PDF) for your Designated Position(opens in new window). The categories describe the specific types of interests your position must report. A list of common a reportable sources is also available.
  7. Report your spouse’s interests. Your spouse’s investments and interests in real property are reportable. Fifty percent of your spouse’s income is considered your income and must be disclosed.
  8. Don't report University salary or reimbursements. You are not required to report the salary or reimbursements for expenses, including travel expenses, that you receive from the University.
  9. Don’t report personal residences. You need only to report the portion of a personal residence that is used as a place of business for tax purposes.
  10. Diversified mutual funds are not reportable. Neither are bank accounts, savings accounts, insurance policies or government bonds.
  11. Use the schedules. Don’t attach brokerage statements or other extraneous information.
  12. Annual Form 700 is due April 1. There is no provision in the law for extensions of filing deadlines.

Need Help?