View the latest updates and emergency notifications on the COVID-19 News & Information website.
Human Resources Service Center

What is a reportable?

A "reportable source" is a source with which the CSU (or campus) might do business or invest funds. This source depends on the CSU Disclosure Categories (PDF) assigned to the person's position.

Gifts between the $50 threshold and the annual gift limit must be reported. The annual calendar year gift limit (per the FPPC) is $500 (2019-2020 limit). This means, in general, we are NOT able to accept gifts (including travel) that exceed the gift limit, even if it is beneficial to the university. This applies to state employees whether or not the employee is in a designated position.

Reportable vs. Non-Reportable sources

Expand All | Collapse All

  • Stocks

    Reportable on Form 700 Schedule A-1

    • Stocks held in an IRA or a 401K


    • Insurance policies
    • Government bonds
    • Diversified mutual funds (or similar)
    • Investments held in certain retirement accounts
  • Business entities

    Reportable on Form 700 Schedule A-2

    • Sole proprietorships
    • LLCs
    • Corporations
    • Trusts


    • Savings and checking accounts
    • Annuities
  • Rental property

    Reportable on Form 700 Schedule B

    • Rental property in the jurisdiction


    • Personal Residence
  • Salaries

    Reportable on Form 700 Schedule C

    • Non-governmental salaries of public official and
    • spouse/registered domestic partner


    • Governmental salary
  • Gifts

    Reportable on Form 700 Schedule D


    • Gifts from family members
  • Travel Payments

    Reportable on Form 700 Schedule E


    • Travel paid by your government agency

    Questions to consider on Travel Payments

    • What is the source of payment?
    • Value provided (e.g., speech)?
    • Reasonably related to CSU business?
    • Limited duration?
    • Travel costs conform with CSU Travel policy?


If you have a question regarding specific situations, please call the California’s Fair Political Practices Commission (FPPC) toll-free at 866-275-3772 or visit their Website(opens in new window).

Need Help?