Human Resources Service Center

Separating Employee Responsibility

We will be sorry to see you go, but plans change, and we wish you well! Listed below are some important items and information to think about when leaving the University.

Expand All | Collapse All

  • Separating Employee Responsibility
    1. A separating employee is responsible for working with the department or dean’s office.
      • A resigning or retiring employee is encouraged to provide written notification, including separation date, to the department or dean’s office. Outlook templates are provided below or you can copy and paste the message below replacing bracketed text with your personalized information to send to your department or dean's office.
        Notice of Resignation (Outlook Template)(opens in new window)
        To Whom it May Concern,
        I, [Employee name], will be voluntarily [resigning or retiring] from my position as [job title] at California State University, Chico [Department name], effective [mm/dd/yy].

        My last working day will be: [mm/dd/yy]
        Notice of Retirement (Outlook Template)(opens in new window)
        To Whom it May Concern,
        I, [Employee name], plan to Retire from my position as [job title] at California State University, Chico [Department name], effective [mm/dd/yy].

        My first day of retirement will be [mm/dd/yy] and my last working day will be: [mm/dd/yy] (one working day prior to the first day of retirement).
    2. A separating employee is responsible for returning campus property to the issuing department no later than the last day physically worked. Including, but not limited to:
      • Permanent parking decal, or make arrangements with the cashiering office.
      • Return Department or State property, such as laptops, tablets and other checked out equipment, including items purchased with professional development funds.
      • Cell phone, Smartphone or phone card.
      • Keys.
      • DUO Devices (token).
      • Wildcat ID Card - return to ITSS office Wildcat Card desk.
      • Pay library fines (and don't forget to return library material, by the due date) to the library.
      • Procurement card
      • Travel card

      Work with your campus office if you have questions regarding these items.

    3. A separating employee is responsible for completing necessary paperwork and updating personal information. Including, but not limited to:
      • Review the email you will receive from your department regarding the checkout process.
      • Work with your supervisor/department to ensure final absences are reported and approved in AMSS prior to your last day on campus.
      • If you have content on Canvas that you would like restricted, email to let them know how you want that content handled after separation.
      • View your address in HR Self Service, Personal Information Summary(opens in new window). If changes are needed, visit the Employee Address Changes website. Health insurance documents, final paycheck/stub distribution as well as your annual W-2 statement, will be sent to the address on record. If you have any questions, the Human Resources Service Center can be reached at 530-898-6771.
      • A retiring employee can request to keep their email access by opening a Team Dynamix Ticket – Retired Faculty/Staff email retention(opens in new window).
      • Remove personal items from your workspace.
      • Travel documents completed.
      • Form 700 employee's:  if you receive a "Leaving Office" email from the CSU's e-Disclosure portal at; verify all information to complete the form, and submit it electronically, as instructed.
      • Are you signed up for Cal Employee Connect (CEC)? The day after your separation date you will no longer have access to your information in HR Self Service on the campus portal. Register for a CEC account to securely access/view/print your earning statements and your W-2's after separation. If you are already signed up, make sure you update your registered email to a personal email. Refer to "I am a registered CEC user. How do I change my email address?" in the FAQ list on the CEC website. If you have questions, contact Payroll office at

    All secure computer accesses, Procurement and Travel card access and ID card door access will be canceled on the last day physically worked.

    Note: Work closely with your department or college office to ensure all items are cleared in a timely manner.

  • Continuation of Health Coverage

    The Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (COBRA) of 1985 was enacted into law on April 7, 1986, and applies to the California State University through the Public Health Service Act. Generally, COBRA permits covered individuals who lose coverage under the plan(s) as a result of certain “qualifying events” to elect to continue their coverage under the plan(s) for a prescribed period of time on a self-pay basis, for up to 18, 29 or 36 months, depending on the qualifying event.

    If as an active employee, you have been covered by a health plan, your benefits coverage will likely continue through the month of separation or loss of benefits eligibility and the month following. A COBRA Qualifying Event Election Notice will be sent to your mailing address upon your separation or loss of benefits eligibility, the date your benefits will end will be included. This notice contains information regarding continuing coverage through COBRA, COBRA rates, and the election form you will need to complete should you decide to elect COBRA.

    The individual pays 102% of the monthly premium or 150% of the monthly premium for a COBRA extension due to disability. View the 2023 COBRA Premium Rate Chart(opens in new window) for current COBRA rates.

  • Retirement Accounts

    If you have contributions from your pay taken for retirement, you have a couple of options. An employee with CalPERS funds on file is able to leave their funds with CalPERS or request a refund or roll the funds over to another retirement account (PDF)

    Employees who are (or were) in the Part-Time, Seasonal, and Temporary Retirement Program (PST) can find out about a refund or rollover of the funds at Savings Plus Part-Time, Seasonal and Temporary Employees Retirement Program(opens in new window) web page.

    Please see Retiring from the CSU if your separation is your retirement.

  • Leave Balances

    Vacation Balance

    When you leave employment, you have the option to request tax deferral of your lump sum vacation payout to your current 401(k), 457 or 403(b) account(s). You are eligible to transfer up to the maximum contribution limit to each account, minus the amount you have already contributed for the plan.

    If your separation date is on or after November 1, you have the option to make the transfer for the current and following tax year, up to the maximum annual contribution limits.

    Individuals considering this option should contact the Payroll Manager, Alison Christensen at prior to your separation. Generally, this option must be exercised at least 30 days prior to separation from the University.

    Sick Leave Balance

    Your sick leave balance will not be paid out. You have the option of donating up to 40 hours of sick leave or vacation under the Programs to Supplement Family and/or Medical Leave Programs Catastrophic Leave Donation Program. Please stop by the Human Resources Service Center, Kendall Hall 220 to donate hours to fellow employees in need.

  • Fee Waiver Information

    Although fee waivers are approved in advance, you must be a current employee at the start of the semester in order for the fee waiver to be valid. Employees, or their dependents, who become ineligible and continue their enrollment will be responsible for covering the cost of related university fees.

    See our Fee Waiver Employee Eligibility page for more information or contact

  • Possible Overpayments that Require Employee Repayment

    There are various reasons that could cause an overpayment upon separation. If an overpayment occurs, you will be notified by the Payroll office on campus. Some examples would be:

    • Overpayment of final wages
    • Retirement changes
    • Fee Waiver monies if separation makes you ineligible
    • Taxes on fringe benefits
    • Electronic Device Allowance
      • If you received an Electronic Device Allowance for the current year and you are separating prior to December 1st you will be required to repay the unused/prorated portion of that payment.

Need Help?