Human Resources Service Center

Name Change and Other Personal Information Updates

Names and other personal information are housed in multiple systems on campus. Please review the information below to determine where you would like to make updates.

Legal Name for Employees

Payroll manages any legal name changes that state employees wish to make. Employees must have a new Social Security card that includes the name change.  The new legal name must be an exact match with the name on the social security card.

To request a change to your legal name, follow these steps:

  1. Go to Adobe Sign HR-EAR Update(opens in new window) to initiate the Adobe Sign process
  2. Acknowledge Adobe Terms of Use & click Continue
  3. Select 'Name Change'
  4. Attach a copy of your new Social Security Card
  5. Navigate/tab through the form paying attention to specific instructions
  6. Click to Sign
  7. Enter Chico State email address
  8. Click Continue
  9. Adobe Sign will email a link for confirmation
  10. Open email and click 'Confirm my email address'

You will receive email confirmation that your update has been signed and your request will be securely transferred to Payroll.

Upon receipt your legal name will be updated within 3-5 business days.  Legal Name changes will not be processed unless a copy of the Social Security card is received.

This affects how your name is displayed in:

  • State Controller's Office, pay warrant and W-2
  • PeopleSoft-HR administrative and Self Service pages
  • Insight and Cognos Reports

Preferred Name

Current  active state employees holding faculty, staff, or management positions may request a Preferred Name be added or changed in PeopleSoft. The Preferred Name can be seen in the CSU Learn training system, is the name used in Account Center to create the user name, and is used in several other systems.

Foundation and Associated Student employees should contact their respective Human Resources offices for name changes. Student Employees must change their Preferred Name with the Student Records office.

Request Name Change (opens in new window)

To request the change, use the Request Name Change button to download an Outlook template. For those not using Outlook, copy and paste the template language below into an email to  Note in the subject, Preferred Name Change request.  

I would like to change my Preferred Name in PeopleSoft. I understand that the Preferred Name change will be sent to Student Records and (if applicable) will also update any student records associated with my name.

Please note, the Preferred First Name is what will display.  If you prefer to go by your middle name, enter it as your Preferred First Name.

Chico State ID #:
Preferred First Name (Display):
Preferred Middle Name (can be blank):
Preferred Last Name:

Many, but not all, of our systems default to display the preferred first name and preferred last name.  If preferred names are not available, the system will then display the legal name.

This affects how your name is displayed in:

  • CSU Learn
  • Team Dynamix
  • Cognos Reports

Account Center Display Name

You can control your display name through Account Center.  Please note that it can take up to 48 hours for display name changes to show up in these systems.

This affects how your name is displayed in:

  • Blackboard Learn
  • Google Apps
  • Exchange (email)
  • Portal
  • Active Directory (not the online directory)
  • LDAP