Human Resources Service Center

COVID-19 Student Employee Info

Information for Student Employees

If you are a student that works on campus, this page covers common questions and answers tailored to you. If you are a supervisor of student employees, please visit your Human Resources website for guidance.

The information on this page is for students that work in hourly or intermittent jobs on campus. This information is not for Teaching Assistants (TA’s) and Graduate Assistants (GA’s) - those positions should refer to Academic Affairs(opens in new window) or the Office of Academic Personnel(opens in new window) for further information.

Who do I contact with questions about my employment?

First, contact your supervisor to confirm which campus employer is your hiring agency. On campus, there are few possible employers, so it will be important to know for which agency you work.

  1. CSU, Chico (State) - Student Employment and pay is processed by CSU, Chico Payroll
  2. Associated Students(opens in new window)* and pay is processed by Associated Students Payroll
  3. Chico State Enterprises* and pay is processed by Chico State Enterprises – Human Resources and Payroll
  4. Chico State Wildcat Store* and pay questions can be emailed to your Follett manager

*Important: If you are employed by Associated Students, Chico State Enterprises, or the Chico State Wildcat Store, the rest of the information on this page does NOT apply to you. Please go to your employer’s web page.

If you are employed by CSU, Chico (State), please read on….

Expand All | Collapse All

  • How do I turn in my timesheet?

    Contact your supervisor who will give you instructions. You can email a completed copy of your timesheet to your supervisor and work with your supervisor to establish any hours of Paid Administrative Leave (PDF).

    CSU, Chico (State) student employees have access to download Office 365(opens in new window) for free on up to five computers and devices. Office includes Microsoft Excel, which is needed to complete the CSU, Chico student employee timesheet.

  • How will I get paid? Where do I pick up my check?

    Student pay will continue to run on time. If you are enrolled in Direct Deposit, you will see your check deposited as normal. If you are not enrolled in Direct Deposit, the campus would like to mail your state pay warrant and reimbursement checks to intended recipients.

    CSU, Chico (State) student employees: please email if you would like your pay warrant mailed to you, because Payroll needs your authorization and mailing address. Again, if you already have direct deposit(opens in new window), no further action is required.

    Alternatively, limited check pick-up will be available March 25 and 30, and April 1, 8, and 15 from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. Check pick-up will be conducted as a drive-up service at the temporary vehicle pick-up/drop-off location to be determined – please watch campus announcements for the location. Please bring a photo ID to claim your check.

  • Can I work remotely from home?

    Please contact your supervisor to determine if this is a viable option for you. Supervisors are being encouraged to consider telecommuting work and online professional development for student employees.

    (Supervisors, please refer to the Human Resources Service Center(opens in new window) and Financial Services(opens in new window) sites to answer common COVID-19 process questions.)

  • What is Paid Administrative Leave?

    Paid Administrative Leave may be available to students working for CSU, Chico. Paid Administrative Leave can be used if the employee is unable to work, on campus or remotely, for the following reasons:

    • When an employee is unable to work due to the employee’s own COVID-19-related illness or that of a family member who the employee would normally be able to use sick leave for;
    • When an employee is unable to work because the employee has been directed by their supervisor or healthcare provider not to come to the worksite for COVID-19-related reasons and/or it is not operationally feasible for the employee to work remotely;
    • When it is not operationally feasible for the employee to work remotely;
    • When an employee is unable to work due to a COVID-19-related school or daycare closure and the employee is required to be at home with a child or dependent, and it is not operationally feasible for the employee to work remotely or in conjunction with the childcare commitment.

    Please check with your supervisor to see if you qualify and how to request Paid Administrative Leave hours. All employees requesting Paid Administrative Leave (also known as PAL or CPAL) must complete a Request for Temporary Paid Administrative Leave (PDF) form and email to their supervisor or appropriate administer. This form includes an optional tool for planning the dates that PAL will be used by pay period. Employees must self-certify on the form that the need for leave is valid. These hours can be used starting April 6, 2020.