International Student and Scholar Services

Housing in Chico

  • Overview - Housing Options in Chico

    Chico State is a "residential campus" which means that most students come from other cities in California. It is very common for Chico State students to live together in shared apartments and houses located within walking distance from campus. Students rarely live in University housing after their first year of college. 

    International students have the following housing options in Chico:

    1. University Housing
    2. Privately Owned Apartments and Houses
    3. Homestay Family
  • University Housing

    Is University Housing the right choice for you?

    The following information can help you make this important decision. 

    • At Chico State, University Housing is most commonly selected by U.S. college students during their first year away from home - at age 18.  
    • All university residences are shared living spaces. Most students share a room with at least one other resident and all units (including single rooms) share a bathroom with at least one other individual. 
    • University Housing has rules of conduct, including a strict "no alcohol/drugs" policy and quiet hours.
    • University housing offers simple living quarters.  Accommodations and furnishings are not new. 
    • Most university dwellings have carpeted flooring (common in the U.S.).
    • Students are required to purchase their own bedding (pillows, blankets, sheets) and towels. 
    • Be sure to comparison shop! The rental fee for University Housing includes the following "extras" that might not be included in the price of private housing: heating/cooling, Internet, water/garbage, garden care, organized gatherings and events, and a live-in resident advisor. Some meals are also included, and University Village offers a pool. 

    Important - before signing a lease with University Housing, please note the following: 

    1. Your lease is a binding legal document.  If you move out before your contract ends, you will not receive a refund. No exceptions. 
    2. University Village (UV) is the only residence hall that remains open during winter break.
    3. Your lease ends on the last day of the academic year.  You must move out on that date. 

    Which residence hall is right for you? 

    International students are welcome to request any of the residence halls listed on the University Housing website, however the following are the only options that offer residents access to a kitchen and University Village is the only option that stays open during winter break (Dec-Jan). 

    1. University Village - apartment-style living with a shared kitchen
    2. Konkow Hall - traditional dormitory style living with a shared kitchen

    Learn more and apply here: Chico State University Housing

  • Privately Owned Housing

    There are many student-friendly accommodations available in privately owned apartments, houses, and rooms in Chico.  Most are within walking distance of campus and students ride the city bus for free. 

    You can begin your search by exploring this official Chico State resource:

    Chico State Off-Campus Housing Marketplace

    Note - To access the Marketplace, you will first need to set up a user-name and password using your Chico State credentials. 

    • Search for privately owned housing and apartments within a 1-2 mile radius of campus (Listings)
    • Find shared housing options with other Chico State students (Roommates)
    • Learn about your rights and responsibilities as a tenant in the U.S. (Renter Education)
    • Save your favorites as you explore your options (click the heart icon)
    • Refer to this companion guide (Google Sheet) written by International Wildcats to help refine your search
  • Host Families

    This agency connects international students with local host families:

    International Homestay Agency of Northern California 

  • Temporary Housing

    Upon request, International Education and Global Engagement can provide a list of temporary housing options that are suitable for newly arrived international students. Please send an email message to for more information.

birds eye view of campus