International Student and Scholar Services

Can I work in the U.S. after graduation?

International students have the opportunity to pursue temporary employment in the U.S. that is directly related to their major area of study. The eligibility requirements, application process, and regulations are different for each visa type.

  • F-1 Students

    F-1 Students: Optional Practical Training (OPT) 

    Optional Practical Training (OPT) is temporary employment that is directly related to an F-1 student’s major area of study. Eligible students can apply to receive up to 12 months of OPT employment authorization after completing their academic studies (post-completion). 

    Eligibility Requirements

    1. You must have been in valid F-1 visa status for two semesters (one academic year)
    2. You must be in the final semester of your program
    3. Your international student advisor must authorize your application in SEVIS
    4. You must submit all required documents and applicable payment from within the United States

    Applying for OPT

    You will apply for OPT during the last semester of your college degree program. Your international student advisors must authorize your application through SEVIS before you can apply. To begin the OPT application process, it's required to attend an OPT in-person workshop or watch the virtual OPT workshop

    For more information about OPT, visit the US Citizenship and Immigration Services website.

  • J-1 Students

    The J-1 Student Internships page contains information relevant to students looking for temporary employment in the U.S..