International Student and Scholar Services

Immigration Resources

U.S. Visa Application Process 

Apply for your visa after you receive your official admission documents from Chico State. 

What is Your Visa Type?
All international students will apply for a nonimmigrant student visa:
  • Fee-paying students apply for the F-1 visa type.
  • Non fee-paying students (exchange visitors) apply for the J-1 visa type. 
  • Visiting professors and researchers apply for the J-1 visa type.

Apply for Your U.S. Visa
Official U.S. Department of State website includes: application, instructions, and FAQ's.

Pay SEVIS I-901 Fee
This fee is required to activate your U.S. immigration record (this is in addition to your visa fee).

Visa Appointment Wait Times
Check the current wait time for visa interview appointments at or near your location.
Wait time too long?  Student visa applicants can request an "emergency visa interview." 

Prepare for Your Visa Interview
Tips and tools to help you prepare for this important interview. 

Additional Immigration Resources

U.S. Embassies and Consulates(opens in new window)

US Citizenship and Immigration Service(opens in new window)

Study in the States(opens in new window)

two students on graduation day