View the latest updates and emergency notifications on the COVID-19 News & Information website.
International Student and Scholar Services

Apply for a California Driver’s License

Everything You Need to Know Before You Apply

Make an Appointment at the Chico DMV

Documents to Bring to Your Appointment at the DMV

Required Documents

  • A valid passport
  • I-94 document (this shows your arrival to USA on it, check this website to get it)
  • Your I-20 document
  • At least two documents proving California residency (examples: utility bills like electric, water, internet, letter from your International Student Advisor, etc.)
  • J-1 Scholars only: Social Security Card (not required for regular F-1 students)

Optional Documents (recommended but not required)

  • Letter from your international student advisor confirming your address and full-time enrollment
  • Your international driver’s license, if you have one
  • Your Wildcat ID Card