View the latest updates and emergency notifications on the COVID-19 News & Information website.
International Student and Scholar Services

Insurance, Health, Immunizations, and Emergency Telephone Numbers

Mandatory Health Insurance

All international students are required by California State University Chancellor’s Office to have adequate medical, medical evacuation, and repatriation insurance coverage by the start of your program at CSU, Chico and at all times thereafter while you hold an F-1 or J-1 visa and you are residing within the U.S.* 

For J-1 visa holders, failure to purchase such insurance is a violation of your immigration status and may result in the cancellation of your DS-2019 form and your disenrollment from the University.

Watch ISO Insurance Guidance - Medical System in the USshort video(opens in new window) on Vimeo to learn more about the U.S. Healthcare System before you leave for the U.S.  

Students are free to purchase their insurance policies from any insurance provider as long as the following criteria are met: 

  • Accident/Injury medical benefits - at least $100,000 per accident or illness
  • Repatriation of mortal remains – at least $25,000
  • Medical evacuation  - at least $50,000
  • A deductible not to exceed $500 per accident or illness
  • The insurance company must be underwritten by an insurance corporation with an A.M. Best rating of "A-" or above, and Insurance Solvency International, Ltd. (ISI) rating of "A-1" or above, a Standard and Poor's Claims paying Ability rating of "A-" or above, or a Weiss Research, Inc. rating of "B+" or above

If the insurance policy or the company ratings do not meet our minimum standards, the policy will not be accepted.

Although students are free to select their insurance carriers themselves, it can be difficult to select a company given that there are so many from which to choose. It may be helpful to note that most students at CSU, Chico choose ISO Student Insurance. It is viewed by them as a good policy that is relatively inexpensive.

*Students with government scholarships do not need to purchase additional medical insurance as insurance coverage is a part of the scholarship award. However, they too need to provide evidence of coverage.

Medical Concerns and Access to Care

The CSU, Chico Student Health Center (SHC) provides free medical services to students. For the SHC to best serve you, please bring copies of your medical and immunization records with you so they have a clear understanding of your medical history.

The Student Health Center is open from 8 a.m. -5 p.m., Monday through Friday. On weekends, students can access health care services at walk-in medical clinics. International student advisors will provide specific information about these local services upon request.

Mandatory Immunizations and Tests

You are required to show proof of immunization against Measles and Rubella (MMR). Additionally, you must demonstrate that you are negative for Tuberculosis (TB). You may bring proof of your negative TB test to orientation, provided the test has been performed within 90 days of orientation and is written in English. Turn these documents in to the Student Health Center during your orientation on campus.

If you do not have these records at orientation, you will need to visit the SHC during orientation week to receive the required immunization or test. The MMR vaccination costs approximately $60.00; the TB test costs approximately $55.00.

If you are under 19 years of age as of the first day of the semester, you must also present proof of immunizations against Hepatitis B or complete the series of injections after you arrive. There is a fee for this injection series.

Emergency Phone Numbers:

Emergency Number (Police, Fire, Ambulance): 911

CSU, Chico Student Health Center (Warner Street): 530-898-5241

Enloe Medical Center (West 5th Avenue and Esplanade): 530-891-7300

University Police (West 2nd Street and Chestnut): 530-898-5555