Department of Kinesiology

Faculty Resources

Below are resources for addressing some of the common questions you might encounter.

Department Documents


Common Faculty Requests

Traveling to a conference?

Having problems with your office technology? 

Contact IT Support Services (ITSS) for help with your computer, passwords, and technical issues with smart classrooms. You can call 898-HELP (4357) or request help on-line through their Service Catalog(opens in new window).

The Information Technology website also has many resources and tutorials for all things technology. 

Having problems with Blackboard or technology in your classroom? 

Contact Technology & Learning Program (TLP) office at 530-898-6167 for assistance with Blackboard or other instructional technology. 

The Learning Technologies page features an extensive Knowledge Base with tutorials and FAQs on Blackboard and instructional technology. They also offer workshops and trainings.  

 Where should I send my large print jobs (tests, hand-outs, etc.)?

We are currently investigated whether it is more cost effective to print on our MFP or to use the University Print Services.

If you would like something printed at Print Services, the department office will be happy to assist you:

  • Send an e-mail to with an attachment of the document(s) to be printed.
  • In your e-mail indicate: the number of copies needed; front and back printing or single-sided; stapling preference; regular paper or card stock; and paper color.
  • Please submit your order at least a week in advance.

When can students add and drop classes once the semester begins?

  • During 1st two weeks of classes, students can add or drop your class on their own through their portal.

  • During 3rd and 4th weeks of classes, students need to add or drop by completing a form in the KINE office which requires the instructor’s signature.

  • After the 4th week of classes, students can only add or drop if they have a documented “serious and compelling” reason. They will need to complete a form in the KINE offices requiring the signature of the instructor, department chair, and college dean.

  • The CSU Chico Catalog definition of what constitutes a “serious and compelling” reason is as follows (see
    • The following situations are typical of those for which "serious and compelling" is appropriate justification for approving withdrawals and changes of grade option after the fourth week of classes:
      1. An extended absence due to a verifiable accident, illness, or personal problem serious enough to cause withdrawal from the University. For example, a one- to two-week absence with a doctor's written excuse.
      2. An extended absence due to a death in the immediate family. This applies to absences exceeding a week due to family affairs that must be attended to by the student.
      3. A necessary change in employment status which interferes with the student's ability to attend class. This change in employment status must be verified in writing by the student's employer.
      4. Other unusual or very special cases, considered on their own merit.
    • The following situations would not fall under the intent of "serious and compelling":
      1. Grade anticipated in class is not sufficiently high, or student is doing failing work.
      2. Failure to attend class, complete assignment, or take a test.
      3. Dissatisfaction with course material, instructional method, or instructor.
      4. Class is harder than expected.
      5. Pressure of other classes, participation in social activities, or simple lack of motivation.
      6. A change of major.
  • Students on the waitlist will be added automatically during the first week of classes. After that, you may add students but only up to your room cap. 

Cancelling Class/Office Hours?

The full version of the Kinesiology department's absence reporting policy is outlined (PDF). (PDF)

All absences from your scheduled responsibilities must be reported to the department office. In cases requiring short-term notification like sickness please contact your students and call 530-898-6373 or e-mail the department.

If you are absent due to conference travel or university-related business (even if you aren't getting reimbursed), complete a Travel Request Approval form. 

Bad weather during your outdoor class?

The office makes every effort to monitor the possibility of inclement weather and schedule alternative indoor meeting spaces for outdoor courses. We will e-mail instructors their “rainy day” classroom spaces at least a day in advance of potential bad weather. If you decide to move your class inside, make sure you notify: (A) your students via e-mail/Blackboard and (B) the KINE office ( so we can post signs in Yolo hall.

Need to check out equipment?

We have a variety of equipment available for you and your students to check out

  • Equipment requests are handled by our Equipment Manager Nigel Solece and the student assistants in Shurmer Gym 102A 
  • To reserve equipment contact Nigel ( or 530-898-4399) at least 24 hours in advance.
  • In your message specify what equipment you need, quantity, pick up and drop off times
    • Equipment must be returned immediately after you are done using it
    • Be sure to report any missing or damaged equipment
  • Students can check out equipment with a student ID

Injured student? 

  • Call 911 if it is life-threatening or requires immediate medical attention (back/neck injury, unconsciousness, seizures, profuse bleeding, etc.).
  • For minor injuries that may require medical attention, call CSU-PD at 898-5555
    • It’s ok to send a buddy to walk the injured student to the health center
    • Do not leave your class.
    • Do not administer first aid
  • More information on injury procedures

Injured faculty or staff member?

  • Call 911 if the situation requires immediate medical attention.
  • If there is any question about the severity of the situation call the University Police Department (530-898-5555).
  • If the situation is a non-emergency but faculty/staff member requires medical attention call Merit Medi-Trans 530-893-8690. Co-workers are not to transport an injured or ill worker.
  • All work-related injuries or illnesses (regardless of severity) should be reported to the Benefits and Workers’ Compensation Unity 530-898-5436.
  • See the Human Resource’s document What to Do in Case of an Employee Injury or Illness(opens in new window) for full details.

Planning a field trip?

The Office of Risk Management has detailed instructions on policies and procedures regarding both on- and off-campus activities. You should consult their website to determine which policies are relevant to the event you are planning. The basic steps you must complete when leading students on a traditional instructor-led off-campus activity are listed below.

  1. Complete a Request for Field Trip or On/Off Campus Activity. The Request form can be submitted on-line (the preferred method) or as a paper form. (Note: the on-line version can only be used for course-related activities because it is linked to Blackboard.) 

    • Completed on-line Request forms will be electronically forwarded to the department chair and Risk Management for approval.

    • Completed paper Request forms should be submitted to the KINE office for the chair’s approval and signature. We will then forward the form to Risk Management. 

  2. Distribute waiver forms for participants. Once your Request for Field Trip or On/Off Campus Activity has been approved by the department chair and Risk Management, each student participating in the activity must sign a release from liability waiver. It is important that these are signed at least one day before the activity takes place.

    • If you submitted an on-line Request, students in your course will receive an e-mail with instructions for electronically signing the waiver.If you submitted a paper Request for Field Trip, Risk Management will e-mail you the waiver for you to print and have your students sign.

      • You can log back into the waiver page to view the details of your approved trips, see which students have completed their waivers, send reminder e-mails to those who haven’t signed, and print a roster for your class trip.
      • The waiver page also allows you to print a hard copy of the waiver for students who cannot sign electronically.
  3. Create a Roster. Prepare a list of participant names and ID numbers. This can be as simple as printing a class roster.

    • Prior to departure ensure that the list accurately reflects the names of those participating in the outing

  4. Prepare an Itinerary. Include the outing name, date(s), department name, instructor / trip leader’s name, and his/her contact number. The itinerary should provide as much detailed information as possible about the physical location of the participants during the trip and contact information for each location.

  5. Emergency Contact forms (only if the outing is overnight). Each participant must complete the Emergency Contact form. Risk management will e-mail you the form once your trip is approved or you can download it.

  6. All documents (paper Waivers, Roster, Itinerary, and Emergency Contact forms) are to be submitted to the KINE department office before your activity. We will then forward Risk Management copies of the documents they need.

  7. If you are driving any vehicle (state, rental or personal) as a part of a university event be sure you are current on your defensive driver training, have completed a travel request as necessary, and have a current authorization to use a private vehicle form on file if driving your personal vehicle (see below).

Concerned about the behavior or well-being of a student?

We have a Campus Assessment Response and Education Team (CARE Team) "dedicated to promoting the safety and wellness of the Chico State campus community by addressing situations and behaviors that are disruptive, threatening, or concerning in nature and potentially impede their own or other's ability to function successfully or safely." The CARE Team website has further information on recognizing students in distress and reporting your concerns.

 Driving your personal vehicle on University business? 

According to our Department of Environmental Health and Safety, “CSU, Chico policy requires that each employee who drives a private vehicle to conduct official University or State business must be authorized to use such vehicle and provide certification on an annual basis.” The Environmental Health and Safety website has additional information regarding personal motor vehicle use policy as well as the ability to look up your defensive driver status.

To be authorized to use your personal motor vehicle on state business you must be current in two areas: (1) defensive driver training (renewed every four years) and (2) completed Authorization to use Privately Owned Vehicles on State Business form (renewed every year).

(1) Defensive Driver training – can be taken in person or on-line. To take the training in person log on to DTS and search the Schedule tab to find and register for a training session. To take the training on-line you must:

  • Complete the 1 hour on-line training module, which can be found at After entering your CSU login credentials, search for “defensive driving” in the upper right corner search box. One of the first results should be the Defensive Driving Fundamentals 1-hour course. Click the “Launch” link to begin the course.
    • After completing the course, print your certificate of completion.
  • Print and sign the Employee Identification & Pull Notice form [Link] This form will ask you to verify you have read the following documents: Rules and Regulations Governing the Use of Vehicles at CSU, Chico and Use of University and Private Vehicles. [Links]
  • Submit all three documents to the Department of Environmental Health and Safety (Zip 0190).

(2) The Authorization to use Privately Owned Vehicles on State Business form can be found on the EHS website or downloaded. Once complete, submit this form to the Kinesiology department office where it will be kept on file.


Our Accounts Payable office has a wealth of information relating to travel policies and procedures.

Submit a Travel Request Approval. It is important to complete this form for liability purposes even if you aren’t getting reimbursed. For your convenience, an annotated Travel Request Approval form(opens in new window) with hints on what you, as a faculty member, need to complete.

Paying for travel 

  • Direct Billing: Airline tickets and car rentals can be booked in your name and billed directly to the University using the CalTravelStore. Contact Micah for information on getting an account set up in the CalTravelStore.
  • Personal payment: If you pay for travel arrangements yourself you can get reimbursed by providing receipts after your trip in complete. You can be reimbursed for your airfare and conference registration fees (PDF) paid before you travel.
  • Remember the following when submitting receipts for reimbursement:
    • Receipts should show your name, how you paid [i.e. “Visa XXXXXXXXXXX5931”], and specify what was paid for.
    • Food receipts should be itemized
    • Food is reimbursed according to actual costs, not as per diem rates.

International travel

  • The Office of Risk Management has guidelines for international travel.
  • If your Travel Request Approval form indicated you are travelling outside the United State, the Risk Management office will be automatically notified and will contact you will information on additional foreign travel insurance required for your trip.
two students dancing in the ballroom