Office of the President

Revision to Campus Policy on Alcoholic Beverage; Replaces EM 85-004; Emended by EM 90-038; Superceded by EM 99-011

Executive Memorandum 89-003 March 01, 1989

From: Robin S. Wilson, President

Subject: Revision to Campus Policy on Alcoholic Beverage; Replaces EM 85-004; Emended by EM 90-038; Superceded by EM 99-011.


The possession and consumption of alcoholic beverages on the CSU, Chico campus is generally prohibited as a matter of institutional policy. It may be permitted only at special events and at times and places approved by the Director of University Housing and Food Service. Permission for the use of alcohol before 4:00 p.m. will not ordinarily be approved.

Conditions which govern the use of alcohol when exceptions are made for special events include the following:

  • Each use must be approved by the Director of Housing and Food Service.
  • A majority of those attending the event must be 21 years of age or older.
  • Servers will check I.D.s, as needed, to insure that no guest under 21 years of age is offered or served alcohol.
  • A non-alcoholic beverage must be readily available as the alcoholic beverage.>
  • Where practical, alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages must be served in the same manner.
  • Food will be available.
  • Wine will ordinarily be available only by the glass. Pitchers are bottles of alcoholic beverages will not be available on tables.
  • Guests will not be allowed to bring any alcoholic beverage to any event.
  • Consumption of alcoholic beverages from kegs is prohibited.
  • No student-sponsored group or organization may expend any Associated Students Activity Fee funds for the purchase of such beverages.

Permission may be obtained for the possession and consumption of alcoholic beverages in the University Center and Sylvester's Cafe-by-the-Creek.

Wine or beer may be served, after approval in each instance, in the following areas:

  • The Performing Arts Center Courtyard
  • Bell Memorial Union
  • Laxson Auditorium Portico
  • Various outdoor locations
  • Consumption of alcoholic beverages may be permitted at other times and in other places as approved by the Director of University Housing and Food Service.

Consumption of alcoholic beverages by persons over 21 living in the University's residence halls is permitted in those residence halls subject to regulations established by University Housing and Food Service.

The Alcoholic Beverage Control Act requires that no alcoholic beverage may be sold without a license. A sale occurs if a person must pay to be at an event where alcohol is served. Even if the cost of entry specifically excludes alcohol, a liquor license is required as long as alcohol is served and an individual is charged for attending. An application for a daily license may be obtained from the ABC office in Yuba City. To ensure that all campus entities are in accord with the provisions of this Act, certain procedures must be followed when a sale of alcohol is involved.

  • Purchase and Transportation of Alcohol
    • The customer or Campus Catering, at the customer's direction, may order alcohol from a retailer. Campus Catering will work with the customer to recommend beer or wine selection and quantities.
    • The customer must pay the retailer directly. Campus Catering may not use its own funds or be reimbursed by the customer to purchase alcohol.
      • The customer may give a check, made payable to the retailer, in advance of the event to Campus Catering, which will arrange for purchase and transportation of the alcohol.
      • The customer may arrange with the retailer for billing and direct payment.
    • The customer, Campus Catering, or the retailer may transport alcohol to and from campus.
  • Unused Alcohol
    • Unopened alcohol will be returned to the customer.
    • Opened, partially full bottles will be disposed of at the direction of the customer.
  • Serving Charge

Campus Catering will charge the customer actual labor costs involved in ordering, pickup and delivery, serving, and equipment use when Campus Catering provides any of these services.