COVID-19
View the latest updates on the COVID-19 News & Information website.
Center for Regenerative Agriculture and Resilient Systems

Bioreactor Registry Results

Handful of compost with earthworm

Our registry participants are starting to send us test results! We've created this page to make it easier to find participants who have gotten to this stage.

Anchorage Farm

Contact: Stephen Shafer

Location: Saugerties NY

Number of Johnson-Su Bioreactors: 1

Installation Date: filled and covered March 27 2019

Materials used to make BEAM and in what ratio: ash wood chips 49% leaves and grass that had gone thru mower-vac last fall 49% 2% sheep barn litter for good luck

Results of finished BEAM (Fungal:Bacterial Ratio): Full test results and comments.

Do you plan to offer your BEAM for sale? No, plan to use it ourselves
BATCHELDER/COMSTOCK

Contact: Matt Batchelder, Charles Comstock

Location: Tomball, Texas

Number of Johnson-Su Bioreactors:  13

Installation Date: 2-01/30/19; 2-09/01/19; 9-03/15/20-04/09/20

Materials used to make BEAM and in what ratio: 100% Leaves from various trees in the Houston area including but not limited to: Southern Live Oak, Schumard Oak, Pecan, Red Maple

Results of finished BEAM (Fungal:Bacterial Ratio): Two samples. Tombull bioreactor: Bacterial counts were 15-20 microbes/0.25 nanoliter and good fungal biomass with ~ 8-9 spores per 4 nanoliters. San Antonio bioreactor: ~10 bacteria/0.25 nL 12-15 spores/4 nl and good fungal biomass. Additional comments and photos.(opens in new window)(opens in new window)

Do you plan to offer your BEAM for sale?  Yes, but not certain.

Eastwell

Contact: Bryant and Susie Ussher

Location: Kin Kin, Qld, Australia

Number of Johnson-Su Bioreactors: 5 completed. Another lot to make and put in place. 

Installation Date: January/February 2019

Materials used to make BEAM and in what ratio: Dairy manure, bales of hay/straw, wood chip and forest chip

Results of finished BEAM (Fungal:Bacterial Ratio): Results of forest woodchips compost (PDF)Results of camphor woodchips compost (PDF).

Do you plan to offer your BEAM for sale? No. Personal use on our farm.

HEXRIVIER ORGANIC LEMONS

Contact: Martli Slabber

Location: Republic of South Africa

Number of Johnson-Su Bioreactors: 7

Installation Date: November 2018 and ongoing

Materials used to make BEAM and in what ratio: Woodchips 60%, green weeds 15%, food waste 20%, cow dung 5% -

Results of finished BEAM (Fungal:Bacterial Ratio):Here are photos from my 10-month old Biocomposter, taken by the superwomen at Nemlab, South Africa. We used it as a slurry to treat cover crop seeds in April-May 2020 (autumn planting – we are in Mediterranean climate, Southern Hemisphere).  The roots of the germination cover crop is looking beautiful – soilclagged (for want of a better word), similar seedlings treated with vermicompost-leachate. We are also applying small amounts of JS compost directly under our trees, to help with inoculation of the soil. Lab Results. (PDF)

Do you plan to offer your BEAM for sale? No - Will be using it to use in my own cover crops.

KLEINE BOSCH

Contact: Piet Potgieter

Location: Wellington, Western Cape, South Africa

Number of Johnson-Su Bioreactors: 28

Installation Date: March 2019

Materials used to make BEAM and in what ratio: Eucalyptus and black wattle (young growth) chipped as well as some olive branches

Results of finished BEAM (Fungal:Bacterial Ratio): Reading of 863 which the testing agency says is 11 times greater than you would expect in a soil with good soil health and represents the equivalent of 44.5 tons of microbiological biomass in the upper 20 cm of one hectare of land.

Do you plan to offer your BEAM for sale?: No

Mosca-Hooper Conservation District

Contact: Patrick O'Neill

Location: Alamosa, CO, USA

Number of Johnson-Su Bioreactors: 100

Installation Date: Oct 2018

Materials used to make BEAM and in what ratio: Sheep Manure 8% Wood Chips 17% Grass Hay 50% Barley Straw 25%

Results of finished BEAM (Fungal:Bacterial Ratio): 0.90 : 1.00 (note: test from soil foodweb analysis, taken at 5 months from time of pile formation). UPDATE as of 2/10/2020: The values for Total Fungal : Total Bacterial ratios from three locations within the pile tested out at 1.98 (top of pile), and 2.29 (middle pile), and 1.20 (bottom of pile). 

Do you plan to offer your BEAM for sale?  Yes but not until next year (2021)
NMSU SASC

Contact: Amy Larsen

Location: Alcalde, NM, USA

Number of Johnson-Su Bioreactors: 6

Installation Date: March through June 2018

Materials used to make BEAM and in what ratio: Measurements are in % by volume. Recipe 1: 83% brown (wood chips, brown leaves); 17% green (dairy/chicken manure, food waste, alfalfa hay). Recipe 2: 40% brown (wood chips, brown leaves, straw); 60% green (horse/chicken manure, barley grain, alfalfa hay)

Results of finished BEAM (Fungal:Bacterial Ratio): From PLFA analyses on finished compost. Recipe 1: (0.3697); Recipe 2: TBD June 2019.

Do you plan to offer your BEAM for sale?  No, for research purposes.

Soil Souldiers Ltd

Contact: Anna Simmonds

Location: Wanaka, Otago, New Zealand

Number of Johnson-Su Bioreactors: 2

Installation Date: May 19, and Nov 19, 2019

Materials used to make BEAM and in what ratio: Batch 1 = woodchips (too big) and leaf mold mostly. about 80% woodchips. Batch 2 = Small rotted woodchips, leaf mold, greens (artichoke, comfrey, dock, Sow thistle) This was a more even split of roughly 33% of each.

Results of finished BEAM (Fungal:Bacterial Ratio): Full reports are available for samples taken at the top and the bottom of the pile. Report 1 (PDF) (PDF)Report 2 (PDF) (PDF)

Do you plan to offer your BEAM for sale? How much?:  I have made compost tea and slurries for seeds from it. No price yet......any suggestions?

The Trollworks Llc

Contact: Gordon West

Location: Silver City, NM, USA

Number of Johnson-Su Bioreactors: 5

Installation Date: 2016, 2019 

Materials used to make BEAM and in what ratio: 20% aged horse manure, 20% biochar, 20% pecan shell fines, 20% grass hay, 20% juniper shreds

Results of finished BEAM (Fungal:Bacterial Ratio): 2016 batch 50:50

Do you plan to offer your BEAM for sale? How much?:  We are using it to charge biochar for sale.

Wilmot Cattle Co

Contact: Stuart Austin

Location: Hernani, NSW Australia

Number of Johnson-Su Bioreactors: 3

Installation Date: July 2017

Materials used to make BEAM and in what ratio: 25% Greenwaste - lawn clippings & leaves 25% Fine wood shavings 25% Coarse wood shavings 25% Sorghum straw/mulch

Results of finished BEAM (Fungal:Bacterial Ratio):  We did a Microbewise for Compost test on all three units. - Total Bacteria - 1) 68.9mg/kg 2) 87.9mg/kg 3) 90/8mg/kg - Total Fungi - 1) 270.4mg/kg 2) 547.3mg/kg 3) 712.7 mg/kg - Fungi: Bacteria - 1) 3.9 2) 6.2 3) 7.8 - Total microorganisms - 1) 356.6mg/kg 2) 655.9mg/kg 3) 819.5mg/kg - Protozoa - 1) 17.3mg/kg 2) 20.6mg/kg 3) 16mg/kg - Mycorrhizal fungi - 1) 44.6mg/kg 2) 63.6mg/kg 3) 74.8mg/kg - Carbon - 1) 164.8mg/kg 2) 300.6mg/kg 3) 374.1mg/kg

Do you plan to offer your BEAM for sale? No

Work In Beauty

Contact: Peter Owl McCabe

Location: Ramah, NM

Number of Johnson-Su Bioreactors: 6

Installation Date: August 2018

Materials used to make BEAM and in what ratio: 60% shredded straw, 30% goat bedding, 10% weeds

Results of finished BEAM (Fungal:Bacterial Ratio): 6.6

Do you plan to offer your BEAM for sale? No