Risk Management

Risk Management

What We Do

Risk Management is committed to minimizing losses that may arise from or interfere with California State University, Chico's pursuit of its mission to educate students.

Our Areas of Expertise

In the Risk Management office, our team handles:

  • Insurance requirements for vendors
  • Authorized Caterer & Food Vendor list
  • Campus insurance programs
  • Foreign travel insurance for Faculty, Staff & Students
  • Liability waivers and guidelines for activities & field trips 
  • Requirements for hosting an event or activity on campus
  • Accident procedures & reporting
  • Subpoenas, Record Requests and Summons
  • Guidelines for working with youth (children under the age of 18)

Frequently Asked Questions

Expand All | Collapse All

  • Field Trips

    Q: Where can I find information about field trips?
    A: General information, policies and procedures can be found on the Risk Management web site under  Academic Field Trips & Off-Campus Activities.

    Q: When do I need to request a waiver?
    A: Any time you take students out of town, provide transportation in town, or the risk is greater than the classroom environment, a waiver is needed.

    Q: How do I request a waiver?  
    A: Refer to the Activity Assessment form (PDF)for information and instructions.

    Q: Does a waiver need to be requested if our office is sponsoring a student to attend a conference?
    A: Yes. If the campus is paying for any part of the travel or conference registration, making arrangements, providing transportation, giving academic credit, or faculty or staff are overseeing the outing, there should be a signed waiver on file.

    Q: What is the turnaround time for a waiver form?
    A: Allow at least 10 business days.

    Q: How long do we retain the signed paper waiver forms?  
    A: The original or digital copies of the signed waiver forms should be retained by the department for one (1) year after the end of the semester in which the trip/activity took place.

    Q: How long can students access the electronic waiver to accept an outing?
    A: Students have until midnight on the start date of the field trip to access the electronic waiver.

    Q: For the electronic process, how do I access the waiver once the field trip is processed?
    A: Faculty may log in to the field trip program(opens in new window), click on the field trip, click on the waiver button. You can view or print a copy of the waiver for students not able to access the electronic program.

    Q: If I used the electronic process, how do I access the roster?  
    A: Faculty can log in to the field trip program(opens in new window), click on the field trip, click on the roster button.

    Q: For the electronic process, what do I do if students have not responded?  
    A: Faculty can log in to the field trip program(opens in new window), click on the field trip, click on the option to send a reminder. This will send an email to students who have not responded to the initial request, and to students who may have added the class after the trip was created.

    Q: If I have several field trips during the semester, do I submit a separate request for each outing?  
    A: If the activities associated with each trip are similar in nature, you can submit one request to cover the entire semester (Term Waiver). Please call Risk Management to discuss before requesting a Term Waiver.

    Q: I plan to use a charter bus service for the field trip, what do I need to do for Risk Management?  
    A: Call Risk Management to ensure the University has insurance on file for the charter service. Submit a request for waiver form indicating the name of the charter bus company in the transportation details section.

    Q: When I submit a bus reservation request, does it automatically submit a field trip waiver request?  
    A: No. The process for securing a bus reservation is separate from the electronic field trip waiver process.

    Q: Which request should I submit first? Is there a preferred order?  
    A: It is recommended that you submit the bus reservation request prior to the field trip request. Please ensure the field trip request is submitted at least 10 days prior to outing.

  • Food Service Providers

    Q: How do I obtain the necessary insurance certificates and endorsements?
    A: Talk to your insurance agent or broker. To make it really easy provide them with a copy of the CSU Requirements for Caterers and Food Service Providers.

    Q: What if my insurance agent/broker has questions? Can I have them call Risk Management directly?
    A: Yes, by all means! We are happy to talk to your agent/broker and provide any additional information they may need. Our number is 530-898-6588.

    Q: Can my agent include the additional insured information on the certificate of insurance rather than attaching a separate form?
    A: No, the certificate is for information purposes only and does not constitute a legal endorsement of additional insured.

    Q: What about when my insurance expires:
    A: If your agent/broker has not forwarded a renewed certificate of insurance automatically, they will be sent a reminder notice.

    Q: I don't have employees. Do I need Workers' Compensation insurance coverage?
    A: No, not if you are the sole practitioner and don't have employees.

    Q: I don't have employees of my own but I will be using employees from a temporary agency. Do they need Workers' Compensation insurance coverage?
    A: Yes, they will need coverage but in most cases the temporary agency provides Workers' Compensation insurance coverage.

    Q: Does Risk Management need a copy of the temporary agency's Workers' Compensation insurance coverage?
    A: Yes

    Q: I will not be driving on grounds of CSU, Chico. Will I need automotive insurance coverage?
    A: No, if you are not driving on CSU, Chico property.

    Q: I use a rental car to cater events and purchase automobile insurance coverage through the car rental agency. Will this suffice?
    A: Yes, but we will need proof of coverage with adequate limits.

    Q: Where should my information be sent?
    A: You can mail your documentation to:

    Director of Risk Management MSC 130  
    California State University, Chico  
    400 W First St.  
    Chico, CA 95929-0130

    Or send via facsimile to 530-898-4513

  • Student Placements

    Q: Does the University provide insurance for students who have been placed with outside agencies for various types of student placements such as internships, student teaching, or service learning?
    A: Yes. There are insurance programs in place to cover students in a variety of placements provided a written agreement is in place. Please contact our office for additional details.