Risk Management

Hosting an Event On-Campus

Where to Start

For Events Hosted by Recognized Student Organizations:

Begin by contacting the Student Life and Leadership Office.

You may be referred to the Facilities Reservation Office or Recreational Sports, depending upon the room or location on campus where your proposed event will take place.

For Events Hosted by Departments or Other Campus Groups:

Begin by contacting the Facilities Reservations Office.

You may be referred to the Student Life and Leadership Office or Recreational Sports, depending upon the room or location on campus where your proposed event will take place.

For Events Happening at the Wildcat Recreation Center (WREC) or Bell Memorial Union (BMU):

Contact Associated Students Conference Services(opens in new window) at 530-898-6411.

Departmental Contacts

When to contact Facilities Management Services:

  • To arrange for sprinklers to be turned off (for outdoor events on or near grass)
  • To provide any electrical services
  • To provide any additional equipment
  • To provide custodial services and trash clean up

When to contact Environmental Health and Safety:

  • To issue a food permit or provide safe food handling guidelines 
  • To assist in securing a permit from the Fire Marshal for the use of a tent
  • To review requests for use of candles (for outdoor events only, such as candlelit vigils)
  • To review use of any potentially harmful or hazardous materials
  • To assist with any questions related to barbecuing outside of approved BBQ locations

When to contact University Police:

  • To assist with parking needs for large events
  • To assist in the evaluation of safety and security at an event

When to contact Risk Management:

  • To provide insurance requirements for use of outside vendors
  • To evaluate the risks associated with proposed activities
  • To issue a release of liability waiver for participants to sign for events that include activities with increased exposure for injury or property damage

When to contact University Public Engagement:

  • To assist in processing any requests to serve alcohol at an event

Please note that the possession, consumption, or transportation of alcoholic beverages on campus or in campus-owned facilities is generally prohibited as a matter of institutional policy. However, it may be permitted on special occasions such as awards ceremonies, receptions, periodic fund-raisers for campus programs. Please reference Executive Memorandum 18-009 regarding Alcohol Service at Special Events.

When to contact the Accessibility Resource Center:

  • To receive guidance regarding ADA requirements for advertisements, event materials, location set up, or parking

When to contact Procurement and Contract Services:

  • To review and sign contracts with vendors

When to contact the Campus Facilities Use Committee:

  • To submit a request for waiving campus facilities use fees
  • For approval of events that fall outside the mission of the University