Risk Management

For Food Service Providers

All Food Service Providers (FSP) must have a current Certificate of Liability Insurance that meets the requirements for Insurance and License/Permits for Caterers & Food Vendors.  Refer to the FAQs below for answers to common questions or email risk@csuchico.edu for additional assistance.

Risk Management maintains a list of Authorized Caterer & Food Vendors(opens in new window) (also known as FSP) who frequently do business with the University. The list contains the status of their insurance and permits and is designed to assist campus personnel with selecting an FSP that meets requirements. The absence of a particular FSP name from the list does not necessarily mean that the university cannot contract with the FSP, only that more pre-event lead time will be required in order to obtain evidence of insurance permits.

Please contact Risk Management for help to update or add Food Service Providers.

Catering preparation food truck on campus

FAQs - Food Service Providers

  • FAQs - Food Service Providers

    Q: How do I obtain the necessary insurance certificates and endorsements?
    A: Talk to your insurance agent or broker and provide them with a copy of the CSU Requirements for Caterers and Food Service Providers. (PDF)(opens in new window)

    Q: What if my insurance agent/broker has questions? Can I have them call Risk Management directly?
    A: Yes! We are happy to talk to your agent/broker and provide any additional information they may need. Our number is (530) 898-6588.

    Q: Can my agent include the additional insured information on the certificate of insurance rather than attaching a separate form?
    A: No, the certificate is for information purposes only and does not constitute a legal endorsement of additional insured.

    Q: What about when my insurance expires:
    A: If your agent/broker has not forwarded a renewed certificate of insurance automatically, they will be sent a reminder notice.

    Q: I don't have employees. Do I need Workers' Compensation insurance coverage?
    A: No, not if you are the sole practitioner and don't have employees.

    Q: I don't have employees of my own but I will be using employees from a temporary agency. Do they need Workers' Compensation insurance coverage?
    A: Yes, they will need coverage but in most cases the temporary agency provides Workers' Compensation insurance coverage.

    Q: Does Risk Management need a copy of the temporary agency's Workers' Compensation insurance coverage?
    A: Yes.

    Q: I will not be driving on grounds of CSU, Chico. Will I need automotive insurance coverage?
    A: No, if you are not driving on CSU, Chico property.

    Q: I use a rental car to cater events and purchase automobile insurance coverage through the car rental agency. Will this suffice?
    A: Yes, but we will need proof of coverage with adequate limits.

    Q: Where should my information be sent?
    A: You can mail your documentation to:

    CHICO CA 95929

    or send via facsimile to 530 898-4513

    or by email at risk@csuchico.edu

Types of Food Service Providers

  • Caterer: prepares food in licensed food facility and may transport the food to the event
  • Cook for Hire: prepares all food at the location where it is served
  • Mobile Food Preparation Unit: mobile unit containing equipment for on-site preparation and serving
  • Food Cart: serves pre-packaged food not requiring refrigeration from a mobile cart
  • Temporary Food Facility: temporary food booth constructed for a specific event

Insurance Requirements, Limit of Coverage & Evidence of Adequate Coverage

The majority of service orders and contracts necessitate general insurance requirements as follows:

  • General Liability: $1,000,000 each occurrence, $2,000,000 aggregate
  • Business Automobile Liability: $1,000,000 per occurrence
  • Employer Liability: $1,000,000
  • Workers' Compensation: as required under California State Law(opens in new window)

Food service providers who will be serving alcohol are also required to have Liquor Liability Insurance of $1,000,000 coverage.

All certificates of insurance issued to the University require the following:

    • Each insurer must have an A.M. Best (or equivalent) rating of at least A:VII unless otherwise agreed to by the University.
    • The Certificate Holder is to be identified as: Risk Manager, California State University, Chico, Chico, CA 95929-0130.
    • An additional insured endorsement must accompany each certificate (workers' compensation excepted). Standard insurance form #CG 20 10 10 01 is accepted. Endorsement is to be on a separate page and the wording on the endorsement is to be exactly as follows:
      • The State of California; the Trustees of The California State University; California State University, Chico and Chico State Enterprises; and the officers, employees, volunteers, and agents of each of them are included as additional insured.
      • Coverage shall not be canceled, modified, or reduced without thirty (30) days advance written notice to the University, delivered by certified mail, return receipt requested.

Submit Your Documentation to:

CHICO CA 95929

or send via facsimile to 530 898-4513

or by email at risk@csuchico.edu