On-Campus Employment

Students are employed in many university departments. On-campus student employees are paid through funds reserved for student assistants or federal college work-study.

Student Assistant

It is not necessary to demonstrate financial need to qualify for a student assistant position. A student must be matriculated and enrolled in state-supported courses with a minimum course load of 6.0 units for undergraduate students and 4.0 units for graduate students. Students enrolled in only Open University or Regional and Continuing Education courses are not eligible for state-supported student assistant positions. Student assistant positions can be found on our online job database, Handshake.

Federal Work-Study

Applicants for the work-study program must demonstrate financial need through the university Financial Aid and Scholarship Office. If federal work-study is awarded, available positions are listed on the Student Employment online job database, Handshake.

Ten Steps to Hiring a Student Employee