Study Abroad & Exchange

Financial Aid

Students currently on financial aid will want to contact the Financial Aid Office at Chico State to determine their financial aid eligibility while abroad.

Students who are currently not eligible for need-based financial aid may also wish to apply.  Some programs have higher tuition and costs of living than Chico, and most countries do not allow students to work for money.  These differences will all be taken into account by the Financial Aid Office when computing need.

Application Process

  1. Apply for financial aid by submitting the FAFSA(opens in new window) (Free Application for Federal Student Aid).
  2. Review your Student Aid Report (SAR) when you receive it back from the federal processor. Make sure it is correct and complete. Follow the instructions for submitting and additional information or change needed. Contact our office if you have any questions. 
  3. Check your Student Center "To Do List"  and submit any requested documents. Please note: award information and all other financial aid communications are sent to your WildCat e-mail.
  4. Award offers will be made starting in April for the following academic year. Initial awards will be based on CSU, Chico costs. After you have been accepted into a study abroad program, the cost of attendance (COA) will be adjusted. Cost of attendance adjustments may increase your eligibility for additional funds from loan sources.
  5. You are usually eligible for financial aid equal to the amount of demonstrated financial need determined by the FAFSA. Financial need is the difference between what it costs to attend (COA) and what you and your family are expected to pay toward the costs (EFC).
    Basic formula: COA - EFC = Financial Need
    The amount you receive in financial aid cannot exceed the estimate of program costs.
  6. Use the appropriate Study Abroad Financial Planning Worksheet to review:
    • Types of financial aid: grants, loans, and scholarships
    • How to figure the cost of attendance
    • How to apply for financial aid
    • How to estimate your need

How Financial Aid is Disbursed

Arrange for Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) for direct deposit of funds to your checking account. Enroll in Direct Deposit through your Student Center by clicking on the "Enroll in Direct Deposit" under the Finances section.

University Studies Abroad Consortium (USAC), CSU Chancellor's Office International Program (IP) and American Institute for Foreign Study (AIFS) Payments:

If you are paying USAC, IP or AIFS fees with your financial aid, you will need to provide USAC, IP or AIFS with a copy of your award summary. To obtain your award summary, go to your Student Center and click on “view financial aid”. Under the Aid year column, click on the appropriate year. Print the screen and fax or mail your copy to USAC, IP or AIFS, or email by copying and pasting the screen in an email message to them.

Each of these three programs will defer payment for the amount of accepted/pending aid for the term(s) you are studying abroad, as long as you are eligible for the first disbursement of the term. If you have any holds or items on your to-do list, you may not be eligible for the first disbursement. For more fee payment information, please click on the following links to program provider websites:

Direct International Exchange and Faculty-Led Programs

Financial aid recipients are required to pay the difference between all charges for the term and your pending aid by the fee payment deadline. View your pending financial aid in the Finances/Account Inquiry section of your Student Center.