View the latest updates and emergency notifications on the COVID-19 News & Information website.
School of Social Work

Mental Health Stipend Program


Note: The funding for the Mental Health Services Act Mental Health Stipend has been reduced and Behavioral Health and Behavioral Health Services with Transitional Age Youth (BHS-TAY)  stipend has ceased. Thus, we will only have a limited number of MHSA MH stipends allocated for the 2018-19 academic year. 

Students interested in Mental Health and/or Integrated Health Care are encouraged to confer with the Director of Field Education, Professor Patrick Borel, to evaluate internship opportunities in these areas. 

Although the Mental Health and Behavioral Health Services with Transitional Age Youth (BHS-TAY) stipends are no longer available, the foci are sustained through the specialized internships developed during the grant periods.

Please refer to the MSW Course Sequence regarding courses specific to the Mental Health Focus Area.

California has recognized a scarcity of well trained qualified social workers to address the growing needs of individuals, families and communities living with behavioral health challenges. In the effort to ease this shortage, the CSU, Chico School of Social Work, the California Social Work Education Center (CalSWEC), and the California Office of Statewide Health Planning and Development (OSHPD) have made a commitment to offer enhanced training, education, and financial assistance to qualified students. Find more information on the requirements and eligibility.

Second year, full-time MSW students who are committed to working in the field of community mental health may apply for the MH Stipend. The stipend:

  • Provides financial assistance of $18,500 for the second (concentration) year in the MSW program

  • Requires internship in a MHSA funded or contracted agency

  • Requires attendance in specialized trainings

  • Requires graduate to be employed in an approved behavioral health agency for a period equivalent to one year following graduation.

There will be a limited number of MH stipends awarded for the 2018-2019 Academic Year. 

For more information, contact:

The School of Social Work at 530-898-6204.