Chico State Teachers College

1922 to 1935


Chico State Teachers College added a junior college curriculum and awarded a certificate after two years.

Bidwell Mansion was purchased by the state and opened as Bidwell Hall, a dormitory for 46 girls.


The Collegian, the first campus newspaper, was published.


State Board of Education gave the college power to grant the baccalaureate degree based on four years of work.

The Wildcat was adopted as team mascot.


The alumni organization was founded.


The first Teachers' Institute was held on the Chico campus for elementary and high school teachers in Northern California. The week-long conference provided an opportunity for teachers to get advanced training and classes taught by college faculty.


Fire destroyed the Normal Building, August 12, 1927.

A new gymnasium was built on the grounds of the Bidwell Mansion. It contained a standard size basketball court, dressing rooms and showers, storage facilities and a room for the band. 

Agricultural training for teachers began.

Executive Board established by constitution for the student body.


First Homecoming Day celebrated. Attended by 100 alumni.


New cornerstone was laid over the original cornerstone of the Normal Building as the construction of the new administration building began. Ceremonies were conducted by Chico Masonic Lodge #111. March 8, 1929.

Student bookstore established.


President Osenbaugh died.


Vice President C. K. Studley was acting president in January.

Rudolph D. Lindquist was appointed president in February.

Lindquist resigned in June and left the campus at the end of August.

Aymer J. Hamilton was appointed president in September.


Bidwell Hall was changed from a dormitory to a student lounge and recreation area - the first real approach to a student union.

A legislative act changed the college name from Chico State Teacher's College to Chico State College.

Old Bidwell Mansion

Bidwell Mansion, circa 1900


College gymnasium, circa 1930

The cornerstone ceremony of new administration building

Laying cornerstone of new administration building, March 8, 1929

Kendall Hall

Administration building