What does it mean to be a health education major? What should a health education graduate know, be able to do, and believe? The program's learning objectives, which are based on national standards, are intended to answer these questions
Students will be able to:
- Obtain health-related data about social and cultural environments, growth and development factors, needs and interests.
- Distinguish between behaviors that foster and those that hinder well-being.
- Infer needs for health education on the basis of obtained data.
- Recruit community organization, resource people and potential participants for support and assistance in program planning.
- Develop a logical scope and sequence plan for a health education program.
- Formulate appropriate and measurable program objectives.
- Design educational programs consistent with specified program objectives.
- Exhibit competence in carrying out planned program.
- Infer enabling objectives as needed to implement instructional programs in specified settings.
- Select methods and media best suited to implement program plans for specific learners.
- Monitor educational programs, adjusting objectives and activities as necessary.
- Develop plans to assess achievement of program objectives.
- Carry out evaluation plans.
- Interpret results of program evaluation and infer implications from findings for future program planning.
- Develop a plan for coordinating health education services.
- Facilitate cooperation between and among levels of program personnel.
- Formulate practical modes of collaboration among health agencies and organizations.
- Organize in-service training for teachers, volunteers and other interested personnel.
- Utilize computerized health information retrieval system effectively.
- Establish effective consultive relationships with those requesting assistance in solving health-related problems.
- Interpret and respond to requests for health information.
- Select effective educational resource materials for dissemination.
- Interpret concepts, purposes and theories of health education.
- Predict the impact of societal value systems on health education programs.
- Select a variety of communication methods and techniques in providing health information.
- Foster communication between health care providers and consumers.