MA in History
The mission of the History Department’s Graduate Program is to serve the needs of students who intend to pursue doctoral studies at other institutions, teachers who wish to deepen their content knowledge, and those who simply seek a more advanced and specialized study of the past. Going substantially beyond upper-division undergraduate coursework, the graduate program will provide students with in-depth knowledge about the origins and development of peoples in the past and perfect their ability to conduct advanced research and writing. Graduates of the MA program will be equipped to make significant and independent contributions to the field of history and will be prepared for successful professional careers as secondary teachers, college or university professors, journalists, lawyers, and historians in government and private agencies. Contact Professor Kate Transchel, the History Department's graduate coordinator, and download a copy of the History Department's Graduate Student Manual (pdf).
Culminating Activities for MA:
Requirements for Admission into the History MA Program
1. A BA in History from an accredited institution or an acceptable BA degree in another discipline with advance approval of the History Department’s Graduate Coordinator.
2. An acceptable undergraduate grade point average , as specified in “Admission to Master’s Degree Program” in the University Catalog. 2.75 in the last 60 semester units of course work attempted and at least 3.0 in the last 30 units attempted.
3. An application on file with the Office of Graduate Studies.
4. Completion of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) with minimum scores of 153 on the verbal portion (500 on the old scale) and 3.5 on the analytical writing section.
5. A Statement of Purpose of approximately 250-500 words, i.e., 1-2 typed, double-spaced pages in length. Please mail to Graduate Coordinator, Department of History, CSU Chico, Chico CA 95929-0735.
6. A sample of the applicant's academic writing, e.g., a term paper, essay, etc. Please mail to Graduate Coordinator.
7. Two letters of recommendation (including the Letter of Recommendation Access Waiver Form). Please print and mail to Graduate Coordinator.
8. Approval by the History Department and the Office of Graduate Studies.