Student Records and Registration


Student Records and Registration Office (SRO) supports students and faculty in all phases of University life with the following functions:

  • Maintaining the permanent academic records for all students;
  • Monitoring privacy of academic records as per FERPA. See CSU System Policies and Regulations;
  • Maintaining student records with address and name changes, and other demographic data as requested;
  • Managing the online registration system, processing course requests, registrations, adds and drops, and changes to student schedules;
  • Processing Intrasystem Visitor and Concurrent Enrollment applications;
  • Processing student requests for complete withdrawal from the University;
  • Processing Change of Program forms for students requesting a change in their major, minor, or certificate program;
  • Posting grades for all enrolled regular and extension students, as well as grade changes and other transcript adjustments;
  • Providing official and unofficial transcripts to students and mailing them to institutions and other agencies as requested by students;
  • Verifying enrollment for students;
  • Certifying NCAA eligibility of student- athletes;
  • Certifying students for veterans' benefits;
  • Verifying degrees and other achievements earned by former Chico State students.

Walk-in Service

During the academic year, you may call or visit Student Records and Registration Monday through Friday to reach staff who can assist you with general inquiries and detailed information about your student record or registration. Ask to see designated staff if you require special services like veterans' benefits assistance, visitor or concurrent registration programs, Planned Educational Leave information, student-athlete advising, and student exchange programs.

Access by Disabled Students

Student Records and Registration is accessible to mobility-impaired students via an electric door off the breezeway of Meriam Library, and a lobby signal for assistance by office staff. TDD access is via 530-898-6776 for the hearing impaired. We encourage disabled students to contact us and provide input regarding the quality of our services.

Use of Social Security Number

You are required to include your correct social security number (individual taxpayer identification numbers) pursuant to the authority contained in Section 41201, Title 5, California Code of Regulations, and Section 6109 of the Internal Revenue Code. The University uses the social security number for purposes of financial aid eligibility and disbursement, and the repayment of financial aid and other debts payable to the institution. Also, the Internal Revenue Service requires the University to file information returns that include your social security number and other information such as the amount paid for qualified tuition, related expenses, and interest on educational loans. That information is used to help determine whether you, or a person claiming you as a dependent, may take a credit or deduction to reduce federal income taxes. Failure to provide your socials security number can result in your being denied financial aid and these other services.

In addition to your social security number, you will be assigned a 9-digit Chico State ID Number that will be used as an identifier for all of your student records which may incude: (1) application and admission records; (2) registration records; (3) enrollment/transcript records; (4) financial aid records; (5) alumni records; and (6) records maintained by other University operated programs.

E-Mail Only

CSU, Chico considers e-mail to be the essential method for communicating official University business with students. Each student is provided with a campus WildcatMail account. We strongly urge you to review the contents of your WildcatMail account on a frequent and regular basis. Official notifications from the University related to enrollment, academic status, fees, holds, and financial aid will be sent only to your WildcatMail account. For more information about forwarding your email visit

Change of Address

It is vital that the University has accurate local, permanent, billing, and next-of-kin addresses to maintain communication with you for many important activities and functions throughout your University career. The University will need to provide you with timely orientation, advising, registration, and billing information each semester. You may inform the University of address changes anytime using an address change form, available in the lobby of SRO or via the Chico Web at Enrolled students are sent an address verification notice via e-mail each semester.

Transcript Requests

A CSU, Chico transcript shows only the academic work attempted at Chico. You should request transcripts at least two weeks before you need them. Submit your request in writing to Student Records and Registration, MLIB 180, CSU, Chico, Chico, CA 95929-0720. Be sure to include your signature to indicate your permission to release confidential information, as well as your most recent semester of enrollment, your full name and student ID or social security number, for proper identification. Include the name and address where you want the transcript to be sent. For information on costs associated with ordering transcripts, see the information below and "Transcript and Other Fees" in the chapter "Fees, Tuition, Refunds, and Holds" in the Class Schedule. Fees are subject to change without notice. You can also obtain an unofficial copy of your Chico academic record and transfer course work through the Chico State Portal at no cost. You can obtain an "official transcript request form" at:

Official high school transcripts and those from other colleges become part of your permanent record at Chico and cannot be returned to you. If additional official copies are needed, you must make arrangements directly with the institutions involved.

Transcript Fees

Costs associated with ordering official transcripts of your academic record (CSU, Chico permanent record only) and other Student Records (SRO) services are listed below. Fees are subject to change without notice.

Number of Official Chico Transcripts You Request Amount You Pay

  • First transcript $4.00

Up to nine additional transcripts

  • prepared at the same time each @ $2.00

Additional transcripts (after ten)

  • prepared at the same time each @ $1.00

Other Documents Service Fees

Unofficial copies of your transcripts are available for pick up only and can be ready within forty-eight hours at SRO for the following fees:

  • First unofficial transcript $2.00

Each additional unofficial transcript

  • ordered at the same time $1.00
  • Application for graduation $28.00
  • Refiling for graduation $8.00
  • Replacing a diploma $12.00
  • Submitting documents after a published deadline (e.g., graduation application, Class Add or Drop Request forms Note: The highlighted is different from what appears in the printed catalog. What is displayed is current and correct. or CR/NC petition) $10.00
  • Rush Services (e.g., certification of graduation, verification of enrollment, petition to repeat with academic forgiveness, transcripts, etc.) $8.00

For further information, visit Meriam Library 180.

Enrollment Verfication

Student Records and Registration verifies enrollment for insurance companies, banks, scholarships, employment, and for veteran's benefits. The Financial Aid and Scholarship Office verifies enrollment for students applying for its financial aid programs.

Most verifications of enrollment require a certification for full-time or part-time student status. You are a full-time undergraduate student if you are enrolled in at least 12 semester units, and are considered half-time if you enroll in 6-11.9, or part-time if enrolled in 1-5.9. If you enroll in extension course work at CSU, Chico, you must inform SRO of this fact when requesting an enrollment verification if you plan to use the extension units in determining full-time or part-time status.

You are a full-time graduate student if you are enrolled in at least 8 graduate-level semester units (courses numbered 400-699). Courses numbered 100 through 399 do not count full value towards the 8 graduate-level semester units required for full-time status for graduate students. Regularly enrolled graduate students employed half-time or more as graduate assistants, research assistants, or part-time faculty members may use the employment as the equivalent of up to four semester hours in determining full-time status. Verification of this must be obtained through the Graduate School.

Enrollment verification requires your written consent before it will be released and should be requested two weeks before needed.

An Overview of Registration

The online Class Schedule on the Chico Web is your principal guide to registration procedures each academic year. The Class Schedule contains an outline of all important dates, activities and deadlines related to the registration, fee payment, and financial aid process, and provides detailed registration instructions, notices, and other information important to your successful registration.

Registration consists of two major activities: planning your overall degree program, and registering each semester for the courses you want.

1. Planning your overall degree program-

Carefully identifying the courses you need is the most important thing you can do to graduate on time. Advising assistance is available to you throughout your college career-through the summer New Student Orientation Program, in group advising sessions, from your major department advisor, from your evaluator, and from the Academic Advising Services. Your academic advisor is your best resource-plan to see your advisor every semester.

2. Registering each semester for the courses you want-

Registration is accomplished through the CSU, Chico Web Portal.

Registration at Chico State- Chico State Portal

Registration at CSU, Chico is real-time and relies on web-based registration technologies, through our Web Portal. Students must use the Portal to add or drop classes through the end of the second week of classes. When students access the registration system, class schedule changes (adds/drops) are processed immediately.

Each semester, during the Continuing and New Student Registration periods, registration access to the Portal begins by special groups and then by class level. Once you are allowed access to registration you may continue accessing the Portal until the end of that registration period. During the Open Registration and Add/Drop periods your access to registration is on first come, first served basis.

Consequently, it is important to prepare for your registration session early and to plan your class requests carefully in order to make progress towardss a degree effective. Before your Registration Period opens, meet with your advisor to plan your schedule. Additionally, use the Portal to access your personal student record information and to verify test statuses or identify any registration holds you may need to clear before being allowed to access the registration system.

New/Transfer Student Registration Period:

Approximately two weeks prior to the beginning of the New Student Registration Period, SRO will send you an invitation to register. This invitation will include your temporary ID number, so you may activate your Portal account; specify the day that you may begin accessing the registration system; and remind you of the registration fee payment deadline for the semester. You will not be able to access the registration system until your assigned day.

Continuing Student Registration Period:

Approximately two weeks prior to the beginning of the Continuing Student Registration Period, SRO will send you a postcard directing you to find your day to begin registering. You may begin to access the registration system on your assigned day through the end of the registration period.

Add/Drop Registration Periods:

Approximately three weeks prior to the first day of the fall and spring semesters, the Add/Drop Registration period opens and allows all eligible students who have paid fees access to the Portal to register for or drop courses through the end of the second week of classes.

Registration Fee Payment

If you fail to pay your fees or confirm financial aid by the University's established fee deadline, you will be assessed a late fee and you will be unable to add classes, and you may lose the classes in which you are enrolled. For the most recent information on University fees and expenses go to the Finance Services Office web site at For information regarding electronic deposits and financial aid awards and/or eligibility go to the Financial Aid and Scholarship Office web site at

Manual Registration by Class Add/Update Request Note: The highlighted is different from what appears in the printed catalog. What is displayed is current and correct.

The Class Add/Update Request Note: The highlighted is different from what appears in the printed catalog. What is displayed is current and correct. form is used to register students into courses that are not accessible via the Portal. Non-accessible courses may include Independent Study, Internships, Master's Study, and those designated by the department as requiring faculty permission. These forms are available to students and online via the Chico Web site at Courses requiring manual registration or the Class Add/Update Request Note: The highlighted is different from what appears in the printed catalog. What is displayed is current and correct. process will be indicated in the online Class Schedule.

Late Registration: After the second week of classes each semester, all adding and dropping is done through a manual registration system using the Class Add and Drop Request Note: The highlighted is different from what appears in the printed catalog. What is displayed is current and correct. forms only.

The Class Schedule

A list of each term's course offerings may be found in the online Class Schedule on the Chico Website. A daily updated Open Classes ONLY and Class Schedule is available through the "Class Schedule" button on the Chico Website. It is accessible in most campus computer labs and offices, and from off campus using an Internet WWW browser such as Internet Explorer. Go to:

Registration Holds

The Student Records and Registration Office manages registration holds that may be placed on your academic record for various reasons. A registration hold will prevent you from registering for classes on the Portal and/or through the Class Add/Update Request Note: The highlighted is different from what appears in the printed catalog. What is displayed is current and correct. process. When you access your Portal account, you will be informed if you have a registration hold and will be directed to the appropriate office to clear it. Be sure to take care of all holds promptly.

Access your Portal account each semester at least one to two weeks prior to the opening of your Registration Period to check for any holds or other messages that may adversely affect your registration. Holds may be placed anytime and will bar your registration if not cleared prior to the start of your Registration Period. Students are always forewarned before a hold is placed through public announcements, University publications, and/or letters of notification of holds or situations which will result in a hold. Uncleared holds may result in additional holds being placed by responsible offices.

Balance Due Holds: Students who owe any fees after the fall and/or spring fee deadline will have a Balance Due registration hold placed on their account. Other Balance Due holds may be placed on your record at any time by responsible offices for any other outstanding debt owed to the University. Please go to the Student Financial Services Office, KNDL 212, to pay all fees owed. The University will remove the balance due registration hold within two working days of payment of all outstanding fees.

University Emergency Information Hold: You are required by the University to complete or update your University information by logging on to your Portal account and selecting the Records, Registration, & Finances tab, clicking on Emergency Contact and entering or updating your emergency contact information. Failure to provide the University with your emergency information will result in a registration hold being placed on your record.

Immunization Holds: If you fail to meet the state's Measles, Rubella, and/or Hepatitis B immunization requirements a registration hold will be placed on your academic record. For further information see "Required Immunizations" below.

Testing Holds: Registration holds are placed on all undergrads who do not take the ELM and EPT prior to their first semester at Chico. Please see "Required Tests" below and "Math and Writing Requirements" in the University Catalog and the online Class Schedule.

Required Tests

When you register for classes on the Portal and request ENGL 130, a writing proficiency (WP) course, or any mathematics course you will be informed if you have not completed or met required levels of proficiency to register for these remedial courses. Unless exempt, you must take the English Placement Test (EPT) and the Entry-Level Math test (ELM) before you will be allowed to register for other courses. You must pass ENGL 130 or its equivalent with a grade of C- or better before you may register for any writing proficiency (WP) course. For complete remedial information, see "Math and Writing Requirements" in the catalog or the online Class Schedule.

Required Immunizations

  • Measles and Rubella immunizations are required if you were born after 1-1-57. Failure to provide proof of Measles and Rubella immunizations by the end of your first semester will result in a registration hold being placed on your record.
  • Hepatitus B immunizations are required if you are eighteen years of age or younger on the first day of classes of your first semester. Failure to provide proof of a completion of the third shot in the three shot series by your second semester will result in a registration hold being placed on your record.

To comply with the University's immunization requirements you must complete a Student Immunization Certification form and attach proof of one or more of the following:

  • Your immunization record from your high school, physician, or health department
  • Proof of immunization from the campus Student Health Center
  • Proof of enrollment in a California public school for the seventh grade or higher on or after July 1, 1999
  • Written verification of laboratory-confirmed measles, rubella, or both, and/or hepatitis B

You may also request an exemption from the measles, rubella, and hepatitis immunizations by completing a Student Immunization Certification form and attaching a written request for exemption due to religious or personal belief. In the event of an outbreak, however, if you have selected this option you may be asked to leave the campus. Student Immunization Certification forms are available online at and may be submitted to SRO at MLIB 180 or faxed to 530-898-4359. Immunization Certification forms submitted without documentation will not be processed.

Online Grades

Current students may use the Chico State Portal to access grades from previous terms. Courses taken prior to fall 1993 are not available on the web. Alumni/former students may access their academic records by logging in at

Grades are not mailed to students at the close of the regular fall and spring semesters. Student Records and Registration will provide a printed grade report to students upon written request only. Send your request, specifying the semester grades needed, to:

Attention: Grades
Student Records and Registration
CSU, Chico
Chico, CA 95929-0001

Student Personal Information on the Web

CSU, Chico students can now use the Chico State Portal to view personal information directly from their student records. The information from your record is current and "real-time," and is being made available to you only after the University has established strict measures to guarantee its security.

Current Students

Several views of your student record are available:

  • Your Class Schedule: look at the classes in which you are enrolled. Print and use the associated Enrollment Verification form to request an enrollment verification for submission to lending institutions, insurance companies, etc.
  • Your Grades: look at your grades for any semester in which you have been enrolled at CSU, Chico from fall 1993 and after.This service is not available while grades are being posted to your record at the end of each semester.
  • Your Address(es): look at your local, permanent, and billing addresses; determine whether your addresses are correct; print and complete the associated Address Change Form and either mail or bring to SRO, Meriam Library 180 to update your address information.
  • Your Account Summary: look at your financial account information to determine whether you owe any registration fees or other financial obligations to the University.
  • Registration Holds: determine whether you have any holds which would stop you from registering, or which may prevent you from ordering copies of your transcript or getting financial aid. If you have any holds, this screen will help you determine which offices placed them and how to contact those offices to clear the hold(s).
  • Unofficial CSU, Chico Transcript: You may view or print a copy of your unofficial transcript via the web. For security purposes, your name and SSN are not visible on this version of your academic record.
  • Degree Audit: You may view or print a copy of your degree audit, which is an accounting of your progress towards your degree. For questions about your audit, please contact Evaluations, 530-898-5957.

Alumni/Former Student Access to Your Student Information:

  • Login to the CSU, Chico Alumni/Former student information web page at
  • If you have never accessed your information through this site or if you have forgotten your Login ID or PIN, please read the help screen. If you need additional help, call for staff assistance at 530-898-5143.
  • Please be sure to logout of the system when you are finished viewing your information.

Hours Available

Student Personal Information on the CSU, Chico Web is available dependent upon the administrative database, and therefore not available during the hours when the database is off-line for backup, maintenance, or other activities.

Security Concern

The security of your academic record is our highest concern. Therefore, it is extremely important for you to properly exit your student information on the web by using the "Logout" button. Do not walk away from a public computer while still logged in to your personal records without using the "Logout" button.

Students are subject to all provisions of the Policy on Use of Communications Technology (

Additional Procedures and Notes

Some screens also have links to helpful, related, but non-personal information. For example, the Study List screen displays the classes in which you are enrolled or which you have requested for a specified semester. You may want to look at other sections of a class in which you are enrolled to see if any new sections are being offered or if another section is open which may fit your plans better. The embedded link to the Class Schedule will take you to a listing of classes for the semester you have chosen. However, if you use any link that takes you to a screen outside of the Student Personal Information system, you cannot go back to your Student Personal Information using the "Back" button; you will have to return to the Student Personal Information menu and log on to the system again from the start.

  • Consult the help screens in the Portal if you are having web browser problems or call the Student Computing Help Desk at 898-4357.