History Department

Declaring a History Major or Minor

Browse through the History Department’s Web site for help in deciding whether to declare a history major, minor, or certificate. Look at the two options for a bachelor’s degree in history, the General History Option and the Social Science Pre-Credential Option. The Social Science Pre-Credential Option is for students who intend to become middle school or high school teachers; the General History Option is for everyone else who wants to major in history. It is also wise to speak with an advisor before making a decision. Once you have decided on a program, you need to declare your intentions: complete the plan change form online, print it, and bring it to your advisor for signature.

Mandatory advising for all History majors

Before you enroll for classes for the upcoming semester, you are required to meet with a History advisor. If you are in the Social Science Pre-Credential Option, you will confer with Professor Jeff Livingston; all General Option majors will be assigned to other members of the History faculty. During the fifth week of the semester, you will receive an email from the History Department office that will contain a link to a Google Docs sheet. Click on the link to make an appointment with your advisor during their office hours. We have found that mandatory advising helps students take the right classes in the right sequence and thereby helps students graduate sooner. Your advisor might also discuss career and graduate school possibilities, a second major or minor, and/or Study Abroad options.