Applicants must apply to (1) The CSUC Graduate School and (2) The CMST Program. Follow the steps below.
Steps for Admission to CSUC Graduate School *
Please submit the following materials to the Graduate School by March 1.
- Transcripts from the completion of an undergraduate major in communication studies or related fields with a broad or more specific communication focus, e.g. mass communication, journalism, public relations, English, political science, psychology, sociology, history. For those majors other than communication studies, depending on the degree and coursework completed, the Graduate Coordinator will determine if the undergraduate major had provide appropriate preparation. Depending on the undergraduate major and based on the individual student's background, the Graduate Coordinator may make recommendations on courses to be taken as prerequisites for admission. Such remedial coursework will ordinarily not count toward the fulfillment of master's program requirements.
- A grade point average of at least 3.0 (B) in all undergraduate coursework. Your official transcript will reflect your GPA and must be sent to the Graduate School.
- Completion of Chico State's Graduate Application Form and payment of appropriate fees to the Graduate School.
- Completion of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE), scores to be sent to Graduate School.
Steps for Admission to Communication Studies Graduate Program
Please submit the following materials to the Graduate Coordinator by March 1.
- A personal statement clearly explaining (a) your motivation for pursuing the M.A. degree in Communication Studies at CSU, Chico, (b) expected area of emphasis in your studies, and (c) future goals.
- A minimum of three letters of recommendation from former professors is preferred. If needed, academic or professional supervisors can be used. Letters must speak to the applicant’s academic abilities (critical thinking, ability for academic writing, research and analysis), potential for advanced study, and qualities that would indicate the applicant will be successful in graduate school. All letter writers must complete and sign the Letter of Recommendation Access Waiver Form (provided below), which should be supplied to them by the applicant, who also must complete and sign the form. The letter writer would send (not email) both their letter and the completed Waiver Form together (see address below). NOTE: If applying for a TA position be sure to consult the TA Application guidelines as letters of Recommendation may be used for both the program and TA position.
- Two academic writing samples authored by the applicant demonstrating strong writing and research skills. Papers completed in junior/senior courses that demonstrate use of literature, critical thinking, and/or research are highly preferred. Other works such as articles, parts of portfolios can be considered, but the sample must exhibit the skills, abilities and talents expected by the program for scholarly, academic writing and research.
*See "Graduate Education" in the University Catalog for complete details on general degree requirements.
Please note there is a separate process when applying for a TA position. Students should coordinate their recommendation letters for applying to the program and a TA position by following the guidelines provided.
Submit materials for the CMST Program via regular mail (no attachments) to:Graduate Coordinator
California State University, Chico
Chico, CA 95929-0502