Western Undergraduate Exchange

The Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE) is a scholarship program with the Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education (WICHE). Through WUE, students pay a reduced out-of-state tuition fee.

File Your WUE Contract NOW! (PDF)

Drop off at Student Services Center, Room 130 or email to after completing your application at Cal State Apply.

Students can save up to $9,010 each year in the WUE program

Eligibility Requirements

New freshman and transfer students enrolling for the first time may apply for the WUE scholarship.

WUE is Not Available to These Majors

WUE scholarships are not available to students declaring Nursing, Pre-Nursing, or online majors.

You Must Be a Resident of One of These States

  • Alaska
  • Arizona
  • California
  • Colorado
  • Hawaii
  • Idaho
  • Montana
  • Nevada
  • New Mexico
  • North Dakota
  • South Dakota
  • Oregon
  • Utah
  • Washington
  • Wyoming
  • Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI)
  • Guam
  • Republic of the Marshall Islands (RMI)
  • Federated States of Micronesia (FSM)
  • Republic of Palau

Other Requirements

  • Students must maintain full-time enrollment (at least 12 units) each semester and remain in good standing with the institution.
  • WUE students must declare their intent to maintain their legal domicile in their home WICHE state at the time of their application, and are not eligible to reapply for WUE if they choose to break their WUE contract.
  • Students are welcome to apply before they have been admitted to the University. However, we will not review, process or inform you of the decision until after you have been admitted.
  • Students must request the WUE tuition rate before they enroll in courses and pay tuition fees at CSU, Chico.
  • Students pursuing a second bachelor's degree or master's degree are not eligible to participate in the WUE program.

While participating in WUE, students are not eligible for California resident tuition. Students cannot apply time accrued while participating in the WUE program to establish California residency. Review more information on obtaining CA residency (PDF) for tuition purposes.

Students may receive WUE tuition for four years or until the completion of the bachelor’s degree.

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I know I have received the WUE scholarship?

After you submit the WUE contract, you will be notified with a Confirmation of Participation letter. This letter is only applicable if you are admitted to the University. You will also receive notification in the Student Center within your CSU, Chico Portal.

Do I need to reapply for the WUE each year?

No, the WUE scholarship is good for four years or until you graduate, whichever comes first. You do not need to reapply for the WUE scholarship for each of those four years you attend Chico State. However, if you leave the University and do not complete a planned educational leave form, you would need to reapply to the program when you reapply to the University.

What if it takes me more than four years to graduate?

The WUE scholarship is good for as long at it takes you to complete your degree.

What if I want to become a California resident for tuition purposes?

As a current WUE recipient, you would need to complete the WUE request to withdraw form found at the Office of Admissions. Once you are granted a withdrawal from the program, you will then be able to start accruing time towards California residency. Check with the Office of Admissions on the process of obtaining California residency.

How do I find how much WUE fees will be each semester?

The most up-to-date and accurate information on the Student Financial Services website.

What if I want to study abroad?

Great! Studying abroad is an amazing experience. As a WUE scholarship recipient you will need to talk to the Study Abroad office at or call 530-898-5415 and complete the paperwork in order to maintain your WUE status.

Contact Undergraduate Admissions: Call us Monday–Friday, 8 a.m.–5 p.m., to talk directly to an admissions expert. Or use live chat during our open hours. No automated voice messages—we promise!


Graduate Studies  |  International Students