Thank you for your interest in our program. The following information will help you organize your application materials. Your complete application is due by January 15. (Applications can be submitted beginning October 1 of the year preceding the fall semester to which you are applying).
The Communication Sciences and Disorders Program admits applicants to the M.A. program only in the fall semester. Deadline for application is January 15. Due to large undergraduate class sizes, the program is not currently accepting students through Open University. We are not currently accepting applications from students who do not have an undergraduate degree in speech-language pathology/communication sciences and disorder; however, students who have taken the equivalent of the CSU, Chico undergraduate required courses as pre-requisites at another university may apply. See the following link:
Prerequisites for Admission to Conditionally Classified Status are:
- A grade point average of 3.0 or better in the last 60 units; applicants accepted into our program have a much higher GPA on average.
- An acceptable baccalaureate from an accredited institution, or an equivalent pre-requisite program of study approved by the CMSD Program and Office of Graduate Studies.
- Three letters of recommendation (submitted via CSDCAS) for any applicant whose baccalaureate was not completed under the CSU, Chico Communication Sciences and Disorders program.
- Approval by the Program/Department and the Office of Graduate Studies.
- Completion of the Graduate Records Exam.
Program Admission Checklist – Due by January 15
Materials for application and admission may be sent to either or both the CSU, Chico Office of Graduate Studies and the Communication Sciences and Disorders Centralized Application Service (CSDCAS).
A) Compete all the following items (electronically):
- Graduate Application for Admission through CSUMentor
- Pay the $55 CSU application fee (payable online).
- Send test scores for the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) to CSU, Chico.
- Test scores must be sent directly from the testing agency to the university prior to January 15. Allow at least six weeks for processing.
- Please use university code 4048.
- CSU, Chico does not currently require that GRE scores be sent to CSDCAS, however, other programs may have this requirement.
- Submit the required materials and pay the necessary processing fee via CSDCAS (see below).
B) Send one official transcript from every college/university attended since high school to:
- The CSDCAS Transcript Processing Center;
P.O. Box 9113;
Watertown, MA 02471
- Follow the instructions provided by CSDCAS for transcripts sent to the processing center; use the CSDCAS Transcript Request Form whenever possible.
- All applicants (CSU, Chico students included) must have official transcripts sent directly to CSDCAS. CSDCAS will not accept transcripts issued to students.
- The Office of Graduate Studies
California State University; Chico
Chico, CA 95929-0875
- If you are a current CSU, Chico student, you do not need to send any transcripts.
- If you are a former CSU, Chico student: If you have already graduated, you only need to send transcripts from schools you have attended since graduation.
- If you have not graduated from CSU, Chico nor are you a current CSU, Chico student, you must send one official transcript from every college/university attended since high school.
- NOTE: For best results, please make sure that you send transcripts that have the most recently completed semester’s grades (usually Fall semester preceding the January 15 deadline).
C) Submit the following materials via CSDCAS
Instructions and FAQs are available for your reference:
You can create a user account and begin creating a CSDCAS profile at anytime without cost to you (the only cost is incurred at the time of submission to a university).
- Complete the Applicant Information, some Additional Information, and Academic History
- This includes entering all your courses and grades based on your official transcripts. Start this process early.
- Again, all applicants (CSU, Chico students included) must send official transcripts to CSDCAS (see information above)
- For CSU, Chico, you do not need to complete the sub-section Extracurricular and Volunteer Activities, Honors, and Awards. This information can be included on your resume.
- Three Letters of Recommendation and Ratings
- At least 2 letters must be from professors/instructors who are familiar with the quality of your academic work.
- Personal Essay
- Write a brief statement expressing why you have chosen to study in this field, plans you have to use your education and training, the needs and/or challenges you perceive as important in your field of study, and any personality qualities, characteristics, and skills you believe will enable you to be successful.
- Up-to-date Resume
- Confirmation of Essential Functions (sample) (.pdf)
- Indicate all essential functions you feel you are able to perform.
- To be completed as a Supplemental Material within CSDCAS.
After completing your CSDCAS application and uploading necessary documents, you must “attach” the uploaded documents for each school, as needed, in the Designations section of the application.
- In the Designations section: you will select California State University – Chico’s CMSD Program. Search or scroll to find our school listing and click on the box underneath “Apply,” then “Submit.”
- The processing fee for CSDCAS to release information is $100 for the first program you apply to. Any additional programs you choose to apply to will cost $45 per designation, even if you submit those programs later in the application cycle.