Department of Recreation, Hospitality, & Parks Management

MA in Recreation Administration

Chico State's Recreation, Hospitality, & Parks Management Masters degree program prepares students for supervisory and managerial positions in areas of community recreation and nonprofit leisure services, commercial and private enterprises, and in parks and natural resources management agencies. Many students also pursue a doctorate at other institutions, leading to careers in advanced research, consulting, and teaching.

The foundation of the program includes classroom education, service, and research. Students learn both theory and practice, gain knowledge and experience, and practice critical and creative thinking.

Chico State's M.A. program is a collaboration with San Francisco State University (RPT) and California State University, Sacramento (RPTA). This collaboration provides opportunities to network with other students with across campuses. It also gives students access to three times as many faculty for teaching, research, and professional networking.

The core classes in this program are offered in a hybrid format, which includes in-person and online instruction. Each term begins and ends with a In-Person Seminar at one of the partner universities. During the semester, courses are offered online in the evenings, and these sessions are synchronous so that students and faculty can interact in real time.

The online experiences allow students to eliminate commutes, while the in-person seminars and individual faculty advising build strong relationships within the cohort of students and between the students and RHPM faculty.

Each Chico State student is assigned to a local faculty member to serve as academic advisor. The advisor will guide students from selection of classes through their culminating graduate experience: an applied research project or thesis. Students, along with their advisors, choose coursework to complement their area of focus. Learn more about our faculty expertise and research interests, visit our faculty webpage.

For more information, contact our Graduate Coordinator.