Chico State Basic Needs Project

Emergency Loans and Grants

Are you currently in an unexpected financial situation or economic crisis?

We can provide assistance with:

Application for Assistance

Questions? Contact the Basic Needs Project, 530-898-4099 or Financial Aid & Scholarship at, 530-898-6451.

What is an Emergency Grant?

To support Chico State student basic needs and academic success, the Emergency Grant Program assists eligible students experiencing unexpected economic crisis with financial assistance in the form of a grant of a maximum of $500. The Emergency Grant Program is sponsored by the Basic Needs Project and made possible through the generous support of donors.

Unexpected Economic Crisis Examples:

  • Unexpected economic challenge
  • Uninsured dental or medical emergency
  • Victim of a crime or accident  
  • Displacement due to unsafe, unhealthy or unpredictable living conditions
  • Unpredictable change in financial pendency


  • Must be in an unexpected economic crisis (see examples above)
  • Must be a currently enrolled and/or matriculated CSU, Chico undergraduate or graduate student
  • Must not owe any registration and tuition fees or other debt to the University
  • Must have been awarded all appropriate grant and loan sources of financial aid
  • Must be able to specifically document the nature of the economic crisis and the urgent financial situation.
  • Must be willing to work to develop and implement a mutually agreed upon action plan with University staff, which may include basic needs counselors from Student Affairs, Financial Aid & Scholarship, Student Financial Services, Academic Advising and other on and off-campus resources to improve financial sustainability.
  • Must have completed the FAFSA, (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) or CADAA (California Dream Act Application).
  • Must be actively pursuing part-time employment and all other means of self-support, if currently unemployed but able to work.

Not Eligible for Emergency Grant

  • If you have not exhausted your financial aid eligibility (grants and loans).
  • If you have lost your job, but are eligible to collect unemployment insurance (unless you can document unexpected unmet need).
  • If you need it to pay for expected or planned expenses (e.g., utility bills, tuition, permanent housing).
Can food in the Wildcat pantry