Summer Financial Aid Information
2016 Summer Enrollment
|April 4:||Registration opens and Summer Financial Aid Application
||Summer Aid Application Priority Deadline to defer fees: Students applying for summer aid after April 29 will need to
pay fees to secure enrollment in summer courses.
||Fee Payment Deadline for limited State-support Summer Term classes: Limited courses/programs include: Masters in Social Work, English Grad Programs and limited English internships. Summer financial aid applicants who are enrolled through RCE please contact RCE for specific fee payment deadlines.
|June 1:||Summer Session begins|
||Summer Session ends|
Most Summer Session 2016 courses are offered through Regional & Continuing Education. For a complete schedule and registration information, visit http://rce.csuchico.edu/summer/. Also see the Class Schedule for information on State Summer Term (restricted offerings).
If you are adding or dropping summer courses:
- After May 19: You must complete the RCE's Summer Session 2016 Add/Drop form. You will need to schedule an appointment with a financial aid advisor.
- Beginning June 1: You must complete the Summer Change in Enrollment form along with RCE's Summer Session 2016 Add/Drop form. You will need to schedule an appointment with a financial aid advisor.
2016 Summer Financial Aid
Requirements prior to submission of summer aid application:
- Have a 2015-2016 FAFSA or CA Dream Application on file. Your financial aid file must be complete, with all corrections and required documents received by May 13, 2016.
- Enroll in your summer courses. Submit your application as soon as possible after enrollment.
- Financial aid students must pay the difference between their registration fees and anticipated aid by the fee payment deadline (see important dates above). Students who did not submit their Summer Aid Application by the priority deadline of April 29 must pay full fees by the fee payment deadline to hold classes. There will be no fee deferment after the priority deadline.
- Summer Financial Aid Applications will not be processed for waitlisted courses.
- Your Summer Aid Application must be submitted within 48 hours following your enrollment in Summer Session to ensure a fee deferral is in place and your enrollment is not cancelled for non-payment of fees.
To be eligible for summer financial aid, you must:
- Be a continuing matriculated* CSU, Chico student or regularly admitted into a degree-granting or credential program for Fall 2016.
- You must be enrolled in a minimum of 3 units for summer.
- Have a 2015-2016 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on file with the Financial Aid and Scholarship Office, with all verifications, corrections and updates received from the FAFSA processor by May 13, 2016. You may complete a 2015-2016 FAFSA online at www.fafsa.ed.gov. CSU, Chico’s federal school code is 001146.
- You must have made satisfactory academic progress and be within the federal aid maximum units requirements (180 attempted units undergraduates, 60 units for postbaccalaureate students).
- Complete a Summer 2016 Financial Aid Application, available from the Financial Aid and Scholarship Office Web site. Applications will be available April 4, 2016.
- Register for classes beginning April 4, 2016, and submit your application to the Financial Aid and Scholarship Office immediately to avoid being dropped from your classes pending the processing of your application.
- You must accept, reduce, or decline summer aid through you student center account.
- Failure to attend classes after receiving aid will require repayment.
- Class enrollment changes, including school cancellation of a class, will result in adjustment of aid and repayment by you, if applicable. If you wish to add or drop a class prior to the fee payment deadline, you will need to complete a Summer Session 2016 Add/Drop Form and the Summer Change of Enrollment form - available May 19. See above for specific forms and dates.
- If you received a fee waiver or an outside agency paid your fees during the 2015/16 academic year, we will assume continued receipt of benefits for summer.
- If you are considering a CSU Visitor agreement for summer, make an appointment with a financial aid advisor.
* A matriculated student is a student who has, through normal procedures, been formally admitted to and enrolled at CSU, Chico to pursue an authorized degree, credential, or certificate.
Types of Summer Aid:
- RCE University Grant: These funds are very limited and will be awarded based on application filing date. Grants of $500 (3-5 units) or $1,000 (6+ units) are available to students with an EFC of 0-4000. Students must be enrolled in a minimum of 3 units. Graduate students and Special Session classes are not eligible for RCE University Grants. You are not eligible for RCE University Grant if a fee waiver or if a third party is paying your fees.
- Pell Grant: You may be eligible for Summer Pell Grant if you have not already received the maximum amount for the 2015/16 academic year.
- State University Grant (SUG): These funds are very limited and are only available to state support students. Grants will be equal to the state university fee and may be available to students with an EFC of 0-4000. Graduate students must be enrolled in a minimum of 4 units. Undergraduate students must be enrolled in a minimum of 6 units. You are not eligible for SUG if a fee waiver or a third party is paying fees.
- Federal Direct Stafford Loans: Must have eligibility remaining from the 2015/16 academic year and be within aggregate maximum limits. Undergraduate and credential students must be enrolled in a minimum of 6 units. Master's students must be enrolled in a minimum of 4 units.
- PLUS loans: Available on a separate application. Undergraduate and credential students must be enrolled in a minimum of 6 units. Master's students must be enrolled in a minimum of 4 units.
- Alternative Private Loans: Contact a lender for application information and requirements. See http://www.csuchico.edu/fa/typesOfAid/loans/types/allOptions.shtml.