Human Resources Service Center

Additional Employment, Independent Contractor & Special Consultant

Additional Employment Policy

The California State University (CSU) Additional Employment Policy establishes reasonable limits on the total amount of employment an individual may have within the CSU system. CSU employment is defined as any employment compensated through CSU payroll, regardless of funding source (e.g., general fund, extension, lottery, CSU employment reimbursed by an auxiliary or other source). Outside employment is any employment not compensated through the CSU payroll, including CSU foundation and CSU auxiliary employment. When determining additional employment under the CSU Additional Employment Policy, all CSU employment and all outside CSU foundation and other CSU auxiliary employment are considered together. Additional employment can be from different types of appointments including Special Consultants (Class Code 4660) and Casual Workers (Class Code 1800); however, a particular appointment option may not be appropriate in all circumstances.

Please contact Classification Compensation services prior to assignment of additional work to any current CSU employee for further review.

For Faculty Additional Employment, please refer to the Office of Academic Personnel Additional Employment website.

Additional Employment

Refers to any CSU employment that is in addition to the employee’s primary appointment. Additional employment limitations are based on time-base, not salary. A maximum of 125% time-base is allowed under certain circumstances. The salary rate for additional employment may be the same as the rate for the primary appointment; however, a different salary rate is permitted if appropriate for the work performed and if allowed by the funding source (e.g., private corporation contract). In the case of a federal grant or contract, the rate of pay for the additional employment must be the same as the CSU base rate of pay for the primary assignment.

Outside Employment

Refers to any employment not compensated through the CSU payroll. Employment directly compensated by a CSU foundation or other CSU auxiliary that is not compensated through the CSU payroll is considered outside employment. Employment that is compensated through the CSU payroll and is reimbursed by a foundation, other auxiliary, or other funding source is considered CSU employment. CSU employees may, consistent with campus policies governing outside activities, be employed outside the CSU system. However, conflicts of interest are not permitted. When determining the 125% additional employment under the CSU Additional Employment Policy, all CSU employment and all outside CSU foundation and other CSU auxiliary employment are considered together.

An exempt employee may be assigned additional employment and receive compensation through the CSU foundation or other CSU auxiliary; however, the additional assignment of work must be unrelated to their primary work assignment.   Prior to starting work through the CSU foundation or other CSU auxiliary approval must be obtained through the Human Resources Services Center.

Independent Contractors

Campuses must comply with State/Federal laws and CSU policies regarding the proper classification of employees and independent contractors. Misclassification of a worker as an independent contractor can result in considerable wage and benefit obligations, financial penalties, tax consequences, and other liabilities.

Tech Letter HR/Salary 2021-07 - Independent Contractor vs Employee determinations (PDF)

Note: Faculty and current employees, including student employees, may not be hired as Independent Contractors.  See Faculty Additional Employment policies for more information pertaining to Faculty Employees.

This new process will walk you through getting the required Human Resources Service Center (HRSC) approval prior to initiating the Requisition in CFS for Procurement.

Diagram of approval process.

This process requires the user to have a CSU, Chico Federated Adobe Sign account. This is what you should see after you log in:

Adobe Sign Home screen view

If you do not have an Adobe Sign account, you will receive the message below.

Message states Access Denied

In either of these scenarios, you will have to open the Questions or help with Adobe Sign(opens in new window) ticket to request an account.

NOTE: Remember that browsers act differently, you will have to know how your browser saves and works –these instructions are general.

  1. Sign into Adobe Sign(opens in new window).
  2. Select "Start from Library".
    1. Select Workflows and select HR-Req for Independent Contractor or type HR in the search bar and select the appropriate Workflow and click Start.
      Workflow view as outlined in steps 2 and 2.a
  3. Your email will default in the first box (shows as myself). Enter the Appropriate Administrator’s Chico State email address in the second field.
    1. Human Resources email will auto populate.
    2. Click “Next” at the bottom of the screen.
    Workflow view as outlined in step 3
  4. The form will come up and in the lower right corner you will have the option to "Sign, then Send" or "Fill, then Send" (shown).  Click the option your program gives you.
    View of Independent Contractor form
  5. Complete all necessary fields of the form, including your signature and click “Submit” at the bottom.
  6. The completed form will route to the Appropriate Administrator, then to Human Resources Classification/Compensation for review.
  7. After their review you will receive the completed form in your email.Review that form to verify whether the IC status is approved or not.
    1. If it is not approved you will have to research other methods of employment or other options.
  8. If approved, save the PDF in your department files.
  9. Attach the approved Request for Independent Contractor form along with a detailed quote/proposal to the CFS requisition.

Special Consultants

Individuals appointed to the Special Consultant classification are employees of the California State University and as such are required to complete appropriate employment paperwork such as an Employment Application, the Form I-9, Oath of Allegiance, etc.

A Special Consultant performs special assignments of a temporary nature, based on a particular knowledge, ability or expertise. This classification should be used for work that meets the “exempt” criteria of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and is not to be used for non-exempt work. Incumbents in this classification are paid on a daily rate.

Refer to Special Consultant Resources(opens in new window) for forms and instructions.

Need Help?