Upward Bound Projects

Frequently Asked Questions

Here are some frequently asked questions regarding the Upward Bound Projects at CSU, Chico. If you cannot find an answer to your question, feel free to  contact our office.

What is Upward Bound?

  • Year round program for motivated students with academic potential who want to continue their education after high school.

What are the requirements?

  • Student must be in grades 8-11 to apply. We serve 9-12 grades.
  • Family is low income (established by US Government) OR if neither of your parents have a 4 year college degree.
  • We also select students based on recommendations from teachers, grades, test scores, and a personal interview.
  • You must attend one of the following high schools:
High schools that are eligible for the program
Butte CountyColusa CountyGlenn County
Biggs High SchoolColusa High SchoolHamilton Union High School
Chico Senior High School Orland High School
Durham Senior High School Willows High School
Gridley High School  
Las Plumas High School  
Oroville High School  
Paradise Senior High School  
Pleasant Valley High School  
Sutter CountyTehama CountyYuba County
Live Oak High SchoolLos Molinos High SchoolMarysville High School
River Valley High SchoolRed Bluff High SchoolLindhurst High School
Yuba City High School

What services does Upward Bound provide?

  • Academic tutoring (summer and academic year)
  • Advising (summer and academic year)
  • Assistance in obtaining financial aid
  • Six week summer residential program
  • Field trips (college trips, leadership conferences, senior trips)
  • Test preparation assistance (EPT, ELM, CHSEE, ACT, SAT)
  • Laptop and equipment loan program
  • Career exploration internships

Once accepted, do I have to attend the summer program?

  • Yes, the summer program is MANDATORY every summer until you graduate from high school.

Will I be in the Original Upward Bound or the Math and Science Upward Bound program?

  • Depending on which school you are applying from, your career interests, and other need factors, we will determine which program best fits your needs.

Do I have to attend Chico State to be in Upward Bound?

  • No, we encourage our students to attend any postsecondary institution of their choice.

Is there a fee to be a part of Upward Bound?

  • NO, Upward Bound is a federally funded program through the US Department of Education therefore all costs are covered by the program and at no time is the parent or student expected to pay for our services.

What kind of benefit do students receive after graduating from high school?

  • CSU, Chico Upward Bound Alumni Association
  • Academic assistance through college
  • Opportunity to apply for the Amy Kee scholarship

How long is the program?

  • Once the student is accepted into the program, they are in until graduating from high school

Where can I get an application?

  • You can download an English application, or a Spanish application here(opens in new window)
  • Applications are available from your high school counselor.
  • Or you can call the Upward Bound office @ 898-5181 and request one be sent to you.

Can you speak to a group of parents, organizations or students

  • Yes, we actively recruit at our high schools. If you are interested in learning more about our program, please contact Cesar Alvarez at 530-898-5181.