Accessibility Resource Center

University Housing Reasonable Accommodations FAQs

How do I get an accommodation for my disability in housing?

The first step is to contact Accessibility Resource Center (ARC), complete the “Housing Accommodations Request” form, and provide medical documentation. The request for accommodation must be provided to ARC as soon as practicably possible before moving into University Housing, but the request for accommodation must be submitted by May 1st prior to the academic year students intend to move into University Housing. If submitted after this date, Chico State cannot ensure it will be able to meet accommodation needs during the first semester or term of occupancy.

What sort of documentation is needed?

To aid this process, requests should include documentation, as appropriate, of the condition or need that is the basis of the request. To evaluate requests based on medical, psychological or disability-related conditions accurately and equitably, sufficient information to understand how the requested housing assignment relates to the current impact of the condition is necessary. For those with medically related conditions, such documentation generally consists of an evaluation by an appropriate professional providing treatment for the condition.

Can I get a “single room” as an accommodation?

The learning environment and residential living are central to the Chico State experience. It should be noted that living within the community and learning to share space and be considerate of others is part of that learning experience. Requests for single rooms (as an accommodation) based solely on a desire to have a "quiet, undisturbed place to study" will be granted only in unusual circumstances. By virtue of the shared facilities, resources, and the number of people living under one roof, it is not logical to assume that having a private room would provide for such quiet, distraction-free space to any appreciable degree beyond living in a standard double room. Students who make requests for single rooms solely for these reasons may be given priority on the rooming list in terms of attaining a single room assignment but will be held responsible for paying the differential between single/double room fees. ARC evaluates requests for exceptions carefully.

What do I do if I need a specialized diet?

Contact the Dining Services Manager at 530-898-4815 to discuss available food options and to develop a dietary guideline.