University Housing

Application FAQ's & Timeline

Fall 2023 housing application timeline. All information can also be found in PDF version found on this page.

You can also download a PDF version of our 2023-2024 application timeline (PDF) for your convenience. 


  • Am I still required to get a Covid-19 vaccine?

    For more information on our mask policy and the Covid-19 vaccination policy, please visit Chico State's Covid-19 Information page. 

  • What is the process if I need an accommodation?

    If you anticipate requiring a reasonable accommodation due to a disability, health condition, or Emotional Support Animal assistance we ask that upon completing your application to contact the Accessibility Resource Center (ARC). You can call at 530-898-5959 or visit their website to begin the accommodation request process. ARC will work with UH to provide reasonable accommodations should they be required. 

  • Where can I see what the communities look like?

    Take a look at our Explore Locations Page.  Also, feel free to check out our  Residence Hall Photo Tours. We also encourage you to follow us on Facebook and Instagram! We often post different highlights and photos of our communities.

  • How can I contact you?

    During the academic year our office hours are Monday–Friday 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. During the summer we are open 7 a.m. – 5:30 p.m., Monday through Thursday and closed on Fridays. We are also available by phone at 1-530-898-6325 or by email at

  • Why can't I access the housing application?

    Prior to starting your housing application you must first be admitted to CSU, Chico. After being admitted to CSU, Chico  activate your CSU, Chico Account. You can activate your portal account by going to the CSU Chico home page, click PORTAL near the top of the page and follow the New Student Account link.

  • When is move-in?

    The Spring 2023 move-in date has yet to be determined. 

  • What kind of policies and regulations will I need to follow while living with University Housing?

    We want our communities to be a place where our residents can grow and develop. Policy Guide (PDF) and specific regulations about alcohol, noise, and smoking are designed to set expectations, encourage individual responsibility, and be cost effective in order to keep the housing rates as low as possible. Full statements are contained in the University Housing License Agreement and in our Policy Guide. Please note, the use of tobacco in a form or smoking any other substance is prohibited on campus.

  • Is University Housing only for first time freshman?

    No, we welcome all students to apply to live with University Housing. Our second year and above students live at University Village our apartment style living community, as well as first time freshman.

  • How will I apply for parking?

    Parking for UH residents is extremely limited.

    Our residence halls (Esken, Mechoopda, Konkow, Sutter, Lassen and Shasta Halls) host around 1,000 residents with approximately 260 spaces available. At University Village (UV), there are approximately 700 residents with 300 spaces available. Please be advised that there is a fee associated with a UH permit. If you absolutely need to bring a vehicle, consider living at UV. Parking is still very limited, however you have a higher chance of securing a parking pass. 

    The Parking Lottery is the only method for an opportunity to purchase a space for your car. If you do not win the option to purchase a parking permit, it is strongly advised that you leave your car at home. Overnight parking is not permitted in the general parking lots. Please do not enter the Parking Lottery “just in case” as many residents have a genuine need to have a vehicle. With Chico being an extremely bike friendly campus you can find most of you may need within 5 miles. For other transportation options be sure to visit the Parking Services website.

    Residents will be able to enter the Parking Lottery after University Housing has confirmed that they will have a bed space for Fall of 2023. Instructions will be sent to students via their Wildcat email on how to sign up.

  • What is DUO and why am I being asked to complete it?

    CSU, Chico has prioritized the protection of students, faculty, and staff information by adding Duo Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA). Using Duo, the second layer of security is added on top of passwords.  This helps protect users and the university as passwords are easily compromised. 

    Duo’s two-factor authentication service protects apps, users, and data by requiring an additional piece of information beyond a username and password. Users will be required to use a device (mobile phone, desk phone, hardware token, etc.) to meet the MFA requirement. Multi-Factor Authentication, also known as Two-Factor Authentication, is quite common today and is an excellent way to provide an additional layer of security to your account. Once enrolled in Duo, end-users will receive a push authentication request through the Duo Mobile App, a phone call, or choose to enter a One-Time Passcode (OTP) generated code.  Two-factor authentication combines something the user knows (username and password) with something they carry (smartphone, for example) to ensure that if the password has been compromised, that alone will not allow their account information to be accessed. 

    You can find out more about DUO and how to set it up  here.


  • Canceling Housing application or choosing to not attend CSU, Chico BEFORE July 18, 2023. How do I cancel?

    You may cancel for any reason prior to the cancellation deadline, and receive a full refund of fees paid in advance (minus the initial housing payment). The initial housing payment is nonrefundable.

    You must submit a Cancellation Request. Notifying any other university office does not satisfy your obligation to submit a Cancellation Request via the University Housing Resident Center.

  • Canceling Housing application or choosing to not attend CSU, Chico after July 18, 2023. How do I cancel?

    You must submit a Cancellation Request.  Notifying any other university office does not satisfy your obligation to submit a Cancellation Request via the University Housing Resident Center(opens in new window).

    The Cancellation Request should be submitted at least thirty (30) days in advance of the intended termination date (to provide at least thirty (30) days written notice). The reason for cancellation is limited to the cancellation standards noted in the License Agreement(opens in new window). Cancellation requests must include appropriate explanation and documentation.

    The University may grant or deny the submitted request at its sole discretion.

    A request to cancel a University Housing license after the applicable published Cancellation Deadline must be based on the cancellation standards listed below. The Licensee must also upload in the Resident Center, a detailed statement of compelling reasons for the cancellation request along with appropriate supporting documentation. Cancellation Standards

    • End of student status at CSU, Chico. (i.e. graduating, withdrawing, or no longer attending the University) Requires certification from the Registrar’s Office
    • University approved/sponsored academic commitment located off-campus such as Study Abroad, student teaching, or required internship
    • Marriage (Copy of marriage certificate required)
    • Military Service (Copy of military orders should be attached)
    • Unexpected Hardship - Unexpected situation which has occurred since signing License Agreement. Approval is at the discretion of University Housing. Examples of unexpected hardships which may be considered include significant loss of family income, loss of family home, serious illness, or death of a family member (supporting documentation will be required).

    Unless a written notice of approval and/or cancellation is issued from University Housing, a student is expected to occupy the assigned bed space. Failure to take possession of the assigned bed space is not grounds for automatic cancellation of the License Agreement and/or to have associated charges reversed.

  • How do I cancel my Housing application in the Resident Center?

    • Navigate to the University Housing Resident Center
    • Log in with your campus credentials
    • Select "Requests" from the top menu bar
    • Select "Cancellation Request" from the list of options.
    • Click Save & Continue
    • Select the Academic Year Term you are requesting cancellation for, click continue
    • Select your cancellation reason from the drop-down menu and enter any comments that you would like to be considered.
    • Don't forget to select Save & Continue

    You will receive an automated email letting you know we have successfully received your cancellation.

    We are sorry to see you go!

Room Assignment and Roommates

  • When will I find out if I won the Priority Lottery?

    The initial release of priority lottery results will be begin mid to late April. You will be notified at this time if you have a confirmed space with University Housing.  In the event you did not win the Priority Lottery you will be notified that you have been placed on the waitlist. Oftentimes, students on the waitlist end up getting a bed space with University Housing.

  • When will I find out where I’m living?

    Our first wave of assignment notifications will begin around mid-June 2023. These will continue approximately every two weeks. You will only find out your community and room type at this time.

  • What if I want to move to a different community than I am originally assigned to?

    We always suggest trying out the community you were placed in first! However, starting in mid-June 2023, you can request a room reassignment. Please note that reassignment requests are not guaranteed.

  • How many students will be in each room?

    We are excited to announce that University Housing will provide primarily double rooms (two students per room) with a limited number of single rooms (one student per room) as well as triple rooms (three students per room) and quad rooms (four students per room).   

  • How can I pick my roommate?

    All students with confirmed bed spaces for Fall 2023, will be invited to our roommate matching in May. Students will have the opportunity to message other students and request a roommate. Roommate requests are not guaranteed, but we work very diligently to accommodate roommate requests. Please be sure to check out our Roommate Matching FAQ (PDF)

  • I prefer to not be placed in a shared room. How do I request a single room.

    When you fill out the University Housing application you will be asked for your room preference. While this is not a guarantee University Housing will try to accommodate room preferences. Please note that there are limited single rooms and there is a higher rate for single rooms. Please review our Cost Overview page for room rates.


Fees & Charges to Student Account

  • Is the $300 Initial Housing Payment in addition to my overall costs?

    No, this $300 payment is included in your total housing costs. This is not an additional fee. However, it is non-refundable, even if you cancel. Please see our cost overview page.

  • When are my Housing payments due?

    University Housing room and board (meal plan) payments are due in eight convenient installments. Please see our cost overview page for installment due dates.

  • Are there any other charges?

    When damages caused by a student are found in a room and there is no record of pre existing damage recorded at the time the student checked into the space the resident(s) assigned to the room/apartment will be charged for the cost/repair of the damaged item(s).  You can find more details on our Damage Billing Information page.  University Housing reserves the right to assess the cost for repairs to common areas (lounges, hallways, restrooms, etc.) and distribute charges to all residents of a floor or building.

Amenities & Furnishings

  • What's included in a room?

    Each student will have an extra-long twin bed (36" x 80"), desk with chair, trash can, storage drawers, and closet space. University Village and Konkow have a table and chairs in the dining area as well as a refrigerator, stove, and microwave in the kitchen. At University Village and Konkow, students will need to bring their own cooking pots and pans and utensils.

  • Are there kitchens that residents can use in each hall?

    Shasta, Lassen and Mechoopda are the only places with a community kitchen. University Village is our apartment-style community and has full-sized kitchens.  Konkow also has full-sized kitchens.

  • Do all the bathrooms have lockers?

    No. The only halls which have bathroom lockers are Shasta, Lassen, Esken and Mechoopda Hall.

  • Can I bring a fridge or minifridge?

    No, you cannot bring your own mini-fridge or microwave. University Housing will be providing a Micro-Chill (fridge/microwave combo) in every room with the exception of University Village and Konkow. The Micro-Chill will be provided at no additional cost.

  • How high do the beds go? Can you put a couch under the bed?

    Please make sure to read through your license agreement as no stuffed furniture, such as couches, are allowed in the hall. This is a safety issue as well as an issue with the possible introduction of bed bugs. The beds do not loft or bunk (unless you are in a room that was already lofted/bunked), but they can adjust within about a 2 ft capacity. Residents are also allowed to use risers they have purchased.

  • Is wired Internet available inside rooms?

    Our halls have high speed wireless Internet only. All students will need to prepare their computer to attach to the campus network called Eduroam. Chromebook computers cannot access into EduRoam. If you plan to bring a Chromebook you may need additional support from campus.

  • Are there laundry facilities in University Housing?

    All of our communities are equipped with accessible laundry facilities. The washers and dryers are run by each student's personal laundry card. These laundry cards will be provided to students. You will be able to load funds onto the laundry card with either cash or debit/credit card from the add/value stations within each community. The current cost is $1.00 to wash and $1.00 to dry (costs are subject to change).

  • Are there computer labs in the communities?

    Along with a variety of computing services on campus, there is a computer lab in each community. All of the computers in the labs have a connection to the campus network. Lab computers have direct access to free black and white printing.

  • What transportation services are available?

    With your Wildcat ID Card, all Chico State students, staff and faculty can ride the B-Line Transit system for free! This service is subsidized both by the Associated Students and the University through an agreement with the City of Chico. Check out more alternative transportation services provided by Chico State here.

COVID-19 Policies