Financial Aid & Scholarship Office

Dependents of Veterans

Dependents of certain veterans may be eligible for educational assistance through the following federal and state programs: Cal Vet College Fee Waiver Program and Application(opens in new window)

For more complete eligibility information, see page two of the application above or contact your local County Veterans Service Office.

Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance Program (DEA), Chapter 35(opens in new window)

For more information regarding Chapter 35 eligibility and application, you may visit your local County Veterans Affairs Office, or the Chico State Veteran Education Transition Services (VETS).

Who may qualify?

The spouse, child, or registered domestic partner of a veteran may qualify for college fee waiver benefits at any California Community College, California State University, or University of California campus.

Spouse, child, or registered domestic partner of a veteran

If the veteran:

  • Served during a "qualifying war period" and
  • Has a service–connected disability, or
  • Died while on active duty or as a result of service–related condition

Child of a veteran

If the veteran:

  • Has a service–connected disability,
  • Had a service–related disability at the time of death, or
  • Died of service–related causes

Dependents of a California National Guard member

  • If the National Guard member was killed or permanently disabled while in service to the state

Note: Fee waivers are coordinated with a student's financial aid award and may affect your total financial aid eligibility. Recipients of the Cal Vet fee waiver are not eligible for any “fee designated” grant(s) such as Cal Grant A, Cal Grant B, or State University Grant.