Financial Aid & Scholarship Office

Apply for Financial Aid

There are federal and state student aid programs that can assist you in paying college expenses. If you think your family has too much money to qualify, we recommend that you still apply for financial aid. You may not receive need-based aid, but you may qualify for low-cost student loans. View Types of Aid for more information. Whatever your situation, you apply for most financial aid by completing the FAFSA (Free Application for Student Aid).

Complete the FAFSA

For each academic year for which you will need financial aid, you must complete a FAFSA. There is no cost to apply for financial aid using the FAFSA, and it is the starting point for both federal and state aid.

Use FAFSA on the Web.(opens in new window) You and your parents (if applicable) will need a Federal Student Aid (FSA) ID to complete and electronically sign your application. The FAFSA will guide you through obtaining an FSA ID. Students and their parents must get their own separate FSA ID's.

The FAFSA should be completed online, unless there are extenuating circumstances. If you require a paper FAFSA, please contact our office. 

Our school code is: 001146. Be sure to list CSU, Chico when completing the FAFSA.

Apply between October 1 and March 2 for the following academic year.

March 2 is the priority application date for CSU, Chico. Your application must be received by the Office of Federal Student Aid by this date in order for you to be considered for all available funds. We will continue to accept applications after March 2 and distribute remaining funds throughout the academic year.

Visit our FAFSA video web page for more videos.

New and Transfer Students:

March 2 is also the GPA verification deadline for new Cal Grant applicants. If you are new to CSU, Chico, and/or have fewer than 24 college units, contact your previous school (high school or former college) to have your GPA verification sent to CSAC (see below).

GPA verifications will be sent automatically for CSU, Chico, continuing students with 24 or more units.

For additional information, visit our Cal Grants page.

Steps to Complete and Submit the FAFSA

  1. Make sure you complete the FAFSA for the correct academic year. Students who are enrolling in Fall 2019, Spring 2020 or Summer 2020 classes should plan on completing and submitting the 2019-2020 FAFSA, which is available at in new window), as of October 1, 2018.
  2. Carefully review the application instructions and provide accurate information.
  3. CSU, Chico's FAFSA School Code is 001146
    Our address is: Financial Aid & Scholarship Office, CSU, Chico, Chico, CA 95929–0705
    You may search for other school codes on the FAFSA Web site.
  4. Be sure to answer each question as indicated by the FAFSA instructions (on the right side of the screen). If the answer is zero, put a zero; do not leave the question blank.
  5. After filing electronically, we suggest you print the summary of your application information and the confirmation page when you submit your FAFSA.
  6. Review your Student Aid Report (SAR) when you receive it back from the federal processor. Make sure it is correct and complete. Follow instructions for submitting any additional information or changes needed. Contact our office if you have any questions.

The U.S. Department of Education(opens in new window) provides helpful information for completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid.

FAFSA Parental Information:

  • If your parent is widowed or single, answer the questions about that parent only.
  • If your widowed parent is remarried as of the date you file the FAFSA, answer the questions about that parent and your stepparent.
  • If your parents are divorced or separated, answer the questions about the parent you lived with more during the past 12 months. (If you did not live with one parent more than the other, give answers about the parent who provided more financial support during the past 12 months, or during the most recent year that you actually received support from a parent.) If this parent is remarried as of the date you completed the FAFSA, answer the questions about that parent and your stepparent.
  • Unmarried legal parents living together must answer questions for both parents.
  • Consistent with the Supreme Court decision on the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA), same-sex married couples must report both their information if they were LEGALLY married in a state or other jurisdiction (foreign country) that permits same-sex marriage. Additionally, unmarried same sex LEGAL parents that are living together must report both their information as well.