Financial Aid & Scholarship Office

Professional & Continuing Education Fundable Programs

Professional & Continuing Education offers a variety of programs and Special Session courses. Special Session courses are approved Chico State courses that are offered in addition to the University’s regular semester course schedule. Whether you are enrolled in Special Session courses or enrolled in a degree program through Professional & Continuing Education, to establish financial aid eligibility, you must be formally admitted to a degree program and enrolled in courses that satisfy your degree program requirement. If you are interested in formal admission to the University, contact the Office of Admissions at 1-800-542-4426 or 530-898-4428. University admission requirements are outlined in the University Catalog(opens in new window).

General Financial Aid Guidelines

Chico State's students enrolled in Professional & Continuing Education Special Session courses or degree programs may be eligible for federal financial aid, Middle Class Scholarship, Cal Grant and Alternative (or Private) Educational Loans. Information about federal financial aid programs (grants and loans) and Alternative Educational loans are available under Types of Aid. State University Grant and fee waivers (including Cal-Vet fee waivers and employee fee waivers) are not available for Education Special Session enrollment and degree programs. Professional & Continuing Education maintains information about its degree programs.

Additional Financial Aid Information for Professional & Continuing Education Students

Students are required to be enrolled at least half-time (6 units for undergraduate students and 4 units for students pursing a Master’s degree program). Additionally, students are required to maintain satisfactory academic progress.

How to Apply

Students may apply for financial aid by filing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or California Dream Act Application (CADAA). You must complete a new or renewal FAFSA or CADAA for each academic year you wish to be funded. When completing the FAFSA or CADAA, include Chico State as a college you want your FAFSA or CADAA information sent to. Chico State’s Federal School Code is 001146.

If you are eligible for alternative continuing education loans only, you do not need to file a FAFSA or CADAA. These loans are borrowed directly from a lending institution.

Disbursement Information

Once you are admitted into your program, your financial aid can be processed based on your eligibility and assumed full-time enrollment. Your aid will be prorated and disbursed based on actual enrollment. At University Census (after 4th week of school) each semester, your aid will be adjusted based on your actual enrollment at University Census.

You will be notified by email of your financial aid offer. You will need to access your Student Center through the portal to accept, reduce, or decline your financial aid offer. You will also need to check your Student Services Center to determine if there is anything on your “To Do List” that you must complete. Funds will not disburse until your “To do List” is complete.

Fee payment may be deferred if you have accepted your financial aid offer for the semester you are enrolled. However, funds will not disburse until your “To Do List” is complete and all other holds cleared. When financial aid funds are disbursed, fees are deducted from your award, and any remaining amount will either be directly deposited to your checking account (e-Refund) or sent to your mailing address. Make sure your mailing address is updated on your Student Services Center.

The faster and preferred method for receiving your aid is via e-Refund. If you have not signed up for e-Refund, a check will be sent to your mailing address.

Loan Deferment

You are eligible for federal loan deferment if you are enrolled at least half-time in a financial aid eligible program. The Student Records and Registration Office sends enrollment information multiple times each semester to the National Student Loan Data System(opens in new window). Your student loans can continue to be deferred until you complete your program or drop below half-time enrollment.

Specific Information for Online Students 

State and federal laws require colleges and universities to obtain authorization for distance education instruction or programs provided in states other than their own. Chico State is currently authorized to offer online instruction or degree programs to students residing in a majority of states, but not all. 

Status of State Authorizations for Distance - List of states where Chico State is authorized to provide distance education instruction or programs.