Financial Aid & Scholarship Office

Special Student Categories and Financial Aid

Postbaccalaureate Categories

Graduate Students
Students enrolled in a master's degree program may be eligible for State University Grant, graduate-level loans and Federal Work-Study. See Master's Program, under Postbaccalaureate Enrollment Requirements.

Credential Students
Credential students are considered undergraduates for financial aid purposes and may be eligible for federal and state grants and loans, depending on credential status.

Qualifying Credential and Qualifying Graduate Students
Students who are "qualifying" to matriculate into credential or graduate programs are considered undergraduates for financial aid purposes, may be eligible for senior-level loans for one consecutive year (12 month funding limit).

Second Baccalaureate Students
Students enrolled to earn a second bachelor’s degree may be eligible for Federal Work-Study, and loans at undergraduate limits. See Second Bachelor's under Postbaccalaureate Enrollment Requirements.

Postbaccalaureate Unclassified Students
Postbaccalaureate unclassified students are not in an eligible (degree-seeking) program; therefore, they are ineligible for federal/state aid. See Other Program, under Postbaccalaureate Enrollment Requirements.

Other Categories

Audit Students
Classes taken on an audit basis do not qualify for financial aid.

Educational Opportunity Program
EOP provides access and support services to first-generation students who are economically, educationally, and/or environmentally disadvantaged. Students must be admitted to Chico State through EOP admissions. Some EOP students may be eligible for the Educational Opportunity Program Grant in addition to other types of federal and state financial aid.

Foster Youth
PATH Scholars provides support to former foster youth students on campus. Services include personalized financial aid services, counseling, advising, and tutoring services.  Former foster youth may be eligible for Chafee Grant and other aid benefits as well.

International Students
Are international students eligible for financial aid? International students (including students holding F-1 or J-1 visas) are normally ineligible for federal or state financial aid. California State aid, however, may be available to foreign-born students who have established California residency, are documented by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), and hold a federal work permit. Also see Office of International Education.

California Non-Resident Tuition Exemption, Education Code § 68130.5, as amended, commonly known as AB 540
According to state law AB 540, some non-citizens who have established California residency, may pay in-state fees. AB 540 students may qualify for state and institutional financial aid, but are not eligible for federal aid.

Students who are not California residents are subject to out-of-state tuition and are ineligible for any state aid. An allowance for out-of-state tuition is always included as a part of the student’s budget, or cost of attendance. Non-residents may be eligible for federal student aid programs. Apply for financial aid by completing and submitting a FAFSA.

State and federal laws require colleges and universities to obtain state authorization for distance education instruction or programs provided in states other than their own. 

Professional and Continuing Education (PCE) Students
Students enrolled in the PCE Professional MBA program, RN-BSN program, BS Computer Science Online, MS Computer Science Online, or the MA Math Education programs, may be eligible for federal financial aid. Students who are regularly matriculated into a degree program at Chico State, and are enrolled in transferable PCE courses that will be posted on their transcripts, may be eligible for federal and state aid.

If you are a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces, on active military duty, or a dependent of a veteran, you may be eligible for certain categories of financial aid assistance.