Financial Aid & Scholarship Office

Western Undergraduate Exchange

What is WUE?

WUE is the Western Undergraduate Exchange(opens in new window), a program of the Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education (WICHE).

Through WUE, students in western states, including Hawaii, may enroll in many four-year college programs outside of their home state at a reduced fee level: 150 percent of the institution’s regular resident tuition. WUE tuition is considerably less than nonresident tuition. At Chico State, nonresidents who do not participate in WUE pay $396 per unit in addition to state fees.

How do I find out more?

Chico State is a participating institution in the WUE Program. The following comprehensive information is available on the Chico State Office of Admissions WUE webpage:

  • Available majors
  • Eligibility
  • Cost
  • Application and Admissions
  • Frequently Asked Questions for WUE

How do I apply for Financial Aid?

Apply for financial aid by filing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (opens in new window)(FAFSA). Complete instructions for filling out the application are included online.

How is financial aid determined?

Expected Family Contribution (EFC): When your FAFSA is processed, a federally-determined formula is applied to the information you provided in order to determine your financial need. The formula includes the number in your household as well as student and parent financial information. The formula (federal methodology) used to calculate EFC is established by law and represents a comparative measure of a family’s financial strength. It also indicates how much money you and your family are expected to contribute toward your cost of attendance.

Cost of Attendance (COA): Your cost of attendance, or annual budget, is based on the estimated cost of registration fees, books and supplies, room and board, transportation and personal expenses for a nine-month academic year (fall and spring semesters). The budget includes direct university charges (as tuition fees and on-campus room and board) and estimates of indirect expenses (transportation, books and supplies, miscellaneous living expenses and off–campus room and board). For tuition fees, WUE students pay 150 percent of the state university fees, as set by the California State University Board of Trustees, and 100 percent of local campus fees.

Also click on Cost of Attendance for additional information.

Financial need is the difference between what it costs to attend Chico State (COA) and what you and your family are considered able to pay toward the costs (EFC). Students are usually eligible for financial aid equal to the amount of demonstrated financial need. Generally, the amount students receive in financial aid (including loans) cannot exceed the estimate of college costs.

The Basic Formula for Financial Aid:
COA – EFC = Financial need

What Types of Aid Am I Eligible for as a WUE Student?

Depending on your EFC, you may be eligible for federal grants and loans, Chico State scholarships, and private scholarships. You will not be eligible for California state-subsidized aid programs. Also see Types of Aid.

Student walking across a bridge on campus